Used Carpeting

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, Jan 7, 2007.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Well the buck's pen is officially a muddy mess. It's been raining hard here in Tennessee, 1" plus every few days. I recently read a article about laying old carpet on top of the mud. Went to a local carpeting outfit and received all I wanted. Best part is that the old free carpet was cut in 6 foot wide x 12 feet long sections making it easy to carry and unroll. Works better than I could ever imagine!!!! Next he'll want a hot tub and feather pillow. Give carpeting a try, it's worked for me.

2. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

until it starts to unravel then ur gonna have a bigger mess than the mud cause that stuff will never rot, good luck on cleaning it up when dry weather comes.

3. NewMoon

NewMoon New Member

"Next he'll want a hot tub and feather pillow."

LOL. Thats a good one!

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good temporary fix, but how are you going to dispose of the old nasty carpet?
    It won't burn or rot and my quess is it will be really heavy and hard to handle once it gets dirty/wet. I've got one shelter that is under water(even though we are on sand), so I'm going out today and lay down old patio bricks, but will still us wood shavings and straw for bedding.

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

The pieces of carpeting are only six feet wide and maybe 10-12 feet long. They are cut that way so that the carpet can be quickly removed from customer’s homes.

I'm going to roll up the remnants and throw them back into the dumpster that belongs to the carpet company. No telling what they do with the stuff!!! I'm sure it heads to the local landfill. Keep in mind this is not knee deep mud, but could end up that way. If this somehow backfires I will pursue trying woodchips...Should be free via tree trimming companies....Time will tell.

6. Sbrock

Sbrock Sometimes Sane

You could put the wood chips/shaving or straw on top of the carpeting. It will help a little bit with the mess overall, and keep curious goats from unraveling the edges.

7. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I would turn the carpet face down and cover with chips if I thought that the goats might start pulling and eating it. I know of a beautiful doe that was loosing weight no matter how much she was fed. After some time had passed she was finally sold and butchered for meat on the owner's farm. Her stomach was cut open and found that there was alot on fishing line in there. I have been told that and know that goats will eat plastic bags which can also stop them up and kill them.

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've done this too, I lay it on top of wooden pallets and nail it down. Or put anything solid on top of the pallets. It gives them a place to get up off the mud. We deal with boot sucking mud most of the winter - you can't put chips or bedding of any kind on top of mud - it just disappears into it in a couple of days. Even gravel.

9. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Doc, thanks for the idea on the pallets. We have some nasty mud so far this year, and I am bringing the goats down to pens around the house in the evening due to predator threat on the increase.

Andrea

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

With all the snow melting here in CO. I also have Pallets down and then I have the covered with plywood. It works great for us.