Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There used to be a used book store down the street from me and once a month the owner would go to a book sale and buy used books to restock the store. As low as his prices were, he couldn't have been paying more than $.50 for a paperback and $1 for a hardcover.

I did a search and the closest I found was buying books by the pallet on e-bay. Have any of you ever gone to one of these book sales and how do I find them? This wasn't like when a library sells books, this was a company that went around buying up books from several sources and then reselling them in bulk to small book stores. He used to get a lot of used books that were less than a year old.

ETA: I'm glad I wrote this because it reminded me of something the owner told me when I asked how he could sell books at such low prices. He told me the local Goodwill bookstore also used to go to these sales because he used to work for Goodwill and was the one doing it. Maybe someone at Goodwill can tell me.

I always felt bad for the guy because he had no business sense. It was obvious he was losing money on a daily basis. He had a really nice store that was usually fully stocked, but he was charging about half of what he should have been charging. I could buy a hardcover book for about $3.00 and then I got a 50% credit when I traded it in on a new book. So he was probably paying $1 for the book and making between $.50 and $.75 per book. That probably didn't even cover his expense of driving to the book sales, much less the store, utilities, insurance, and employee.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The used book store I used to go to got most of her books free. People would donate them, or you could get store credit for your books as trade in. I always just donated mine because I was grateful that she had a store that was a central location for me to get books so cheap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I never, ever, buy a book new. The local thrift store always has a vast selection. I just browse through to see if anything catches my eye. Even if a don’t read it, it’s a buck or two max.
If I’m looking for a specific book, I always turn to eBay.
I was watching Forged in Fire a few weeks back, and they mentioned the Sutton Hoo sword. Never heard of it, so I Googled it. Aha! Interesting! This book just arrived Monday. Got it on eBay for $5. It’s hardcover, and looks like it’s never been opened.
7C5C7A1D-0652-49E9-8E40-D31856387023.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
There’s a guy near Dayton Ohio, Greg Murphy who would be of interest to you. Try to get on his email list and research what you can on his dealings. He once mentioned books by the pallet. He openly shares what he does, how he thinks, etc. I followed him for a bit, but quit because I didn’t agree with his attitude, possibly ethics. Murphy’s used books was a storefront that he has since given up, but he still sells online. He’d offer to buy books that he could resell, giving store credit. He bought box lots and by the pallet. He ‘paid’ volunteers to work for him with books. Seemed to be pretty successful, high volume. Last I read he’s doing off the wall business working out of a warehouse. He seems to be the kind of guy who would tell you anything. Start with used book stores near Dayton Ohio, or Greg Murphy, same area.

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There’s a guy near Dayton Ohio, Greg Murphy who would be of interest to you. Try to get on his email list and research what you can on his dealings. He once mentioned books by the pallet. He openly shares what he does, how he thinks, etc. I followed him for a bit, but quit because I didn’t agree with his attitude, possibly ethics. Murphy’s used books was a storefront that he has since given up, but he still sells online. He’d offer to buy books that he could resell, giving store credit. He bought box lots and by the pallet. He ‘paid’ volunteers to work for him with books. Seemed to be pretty successful, high volume. Last I read he’s doing off the wall business working out of a warehouse. He seems to be the kind of guy who would tell you anything. Start with used book stores near Dayton Ohio, or Greg Murphy, same area.
Thanks. I found some articles about the store and his website, but there is nothing on the website - under development which I think means abandoned in this case. With a lot of people getting off Amazon, I am interested in seeing if there is a source for really cheap books. I'm talking like a book that sells new for $15 selling for $1 used so that it could be resold for $8.

·
Saltine American
6,511 Posts
My local library had friends of library book sale once a year. Hardbacks were 1.00 on the first day and on the second and last day they were priced all you can get in a grocery bag. I don't remember the cost of those, but it was very reasonable. Most all the goodwill type stores have good used books. Dollar tree may have some you would like to read.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Library book sales are my best bet, too. In NY, just google library book sales and a calendar comes up with when and where. The last days of the sale often everything is free, so there’s no risk. Spend some time on amazon looking at prices. If you sell a book for 9.99, amazon’s cut is 4.86. Postage may or may not be all covered with the 3.99 credit. $2-3 per book will add up. Lots to consider.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Library book sales are my best bet, too. In NY, just google library book sales and a calendar comes up with when and where. The last days of the sale often everything is free, so there’s no risk. Spend some time on amazon looking at prices. If you sell a book for 9.99, amazon’s cut is 4.86. Postage may or may not be all covered with the 3.99 credit. $2-3 per book will add up. Lots to consider.
Thanks. The idea is to avoid Amazon and use USPS for mailing. On my website, I recommend some books and thought it would be nice if I could offer a cheaper source than Amazon. By the time you add a $3.99 shipping charge on Amazon for used books, you're not saving that much over the Prime rate for new books.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone. You pointed me in the right direction and I think I found what I was looking for.

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
I never, ever, buy a book new. The local thrift store always has a vast selection. I just browse through to see if anything catches my eye. Even if a don’t read it, it’s a buck or two max.
If I’m looking for a specific book, I always turn to eBay.
I was watching Forged in Fire a few weeks back, and they mentioned the Sutton Hoo sword. Never heard of it, so I Googled it. Aha! Interesting! This book just arrived Monday. Got it on eBay for $5. It’s hardcover, and looks like it’s never been opened.
View attachment 93224
never heard of it either. those are the kind of books i find very interesting. rarely buy new either. unless it's something i just have to get at the time. i shop at SA for mine. 99 cents. as far as i know they aren't open yet. place is too small to stay 6ft apart anyway. i'm desperate for a few books now. i've been re reading the ones i have. VV is open. in fact they haven't closed but their books are too pricy for used ones. i'll probably start ordering online again. ~Georgia

·
Registered
365 Posts
never heard of it either. those are the kind of books i find very interesting. rarely buy new either. unless it's something i just have to get at the time. i shop at SA for mine. 99 cents. as far as i know they aren't open yet. place is too small to stay 6ft apart anyway. i'm desperate for a few books now. i've been re reading the ones i have. VV is open. in fact they haven't closed but their books are too pricy for used ones. i'll probably start ordering online again. ~Georgia
It’s great so far. I’m only on like page 30, but it is the story of the excavation/dig of the Sutton Hoo burial site.
I love reading but just too pressed for time to read enough. So I’m picky about what I read, so I don’t find a lot I’m interested in at thrift stores. Has to be non fiction for me.
The last book I read,Grant by Ron Chernow was almost 1000 pages! Took me 6 months to read.
I’ll send you this one when I’m done, if you want it. :)

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
oh that's very kind of you but you should hold unto it . any interesting books i like to keep in my library and reread. i'm off to try to find one now. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
success! found it on Amazon. i paid a little bit more than you did but as i mentioned previously if it's a book i'm really interested in i don't mind. feb 3rd or so is when it comes in. ~Georgia

·
Registered
365 Posts
success! found it on Amazon. i paid a little bit more than you did but as i mentioned previously if it's a book i'm really interested in i don't mind. feb 3rd or so is when it comes in. ~Georgia
Great! Hope you enjoy it. I knocked out another 15 pages tonight.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Hey guys! I found the cheapest place!

The public library.......... :ROFLMAO:

I'm a vociferous reader and seldom watch TV. With my last move, I gave away over 200 books. o_OAside from not having the space in this house, I'd go broke buying books these days. Not to say I don't have and keep special to me books.

Reactions: 67drake

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
well not so much for the books but the jackets. i've been known to buy a book that i had absolutely no interest in just for the jacket especially if it had raised words and /or pics. i'm packng up a few bags now for VV. you can only keep so many. ~Georgia

1 - 20 of 26 Posts