used appliances

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MN Mom, May 30, 2005.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any suggestions for reuse of old appliances?

I am thinking that an old stove or refrig. would make a dandy incubator. I have heard of people who have used old chest type freezers as insulated dog houses. Does anybody know of any books or magazine article that have discussed this.

We are looking at land with a pile out in the woods and just trying to get ideas.

Thanks

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

And old non-working stove might be good for a "counter" with storage in the oven and broiler and a piece of wood across the top for a counter.

Old frig and freezers make great storage for feed, winter food storage. Also make great worm bins.

How old are those stoves. The vintage ones can be rewired and are worth $$$ now. I want one.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Send the appliances to the recycler, currently they are paying $4.25/100lbs.

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Freezers and fridges make great container gardens/raised beds, especially if you have a lot of rocks in your soil or have a water problem in the Springtime.

Properly remove the freon from the system, remove doors, punch a few holes in the fridge for drainage ... and you're ready to plant. If you're really creative, you can even paint them to blend with your landscape scheme.

5. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Around here you have to pay $10-15 per appliance for the recyclers to take them.

6. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Old refrigerators can be made into smoke houses!

7. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

If you have an old washing machine, you can take the inner tub out and use it to help you wash fleece. Just rig it so you can hoist it up and down into a larger tub. (Remember, a wet fleece can be heavy!)

8. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Old fridges and freezers can be buried up to the lid in the ground, a safety lock added to keep kids out, and used to store root cellar items.

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Place an old stove out in the yard, open the oven door, place a sign on top facing the road markedly painted with the words "OPEN RANGE" and take pictures from all angles and name them.... wait for the local authorities to send you notice to remove "junk" and file suit aginst them for dissing your "yard art".... good enough to get a fella in So Cal about 110,000.00 in court a few years back [he had a caddilac]

Ive seen old bed frames used to border flowers.... the original "flower bed" if you will.

Ive cut out a side of a washer and used under the charcoal in the bbq, keeps the sheetmetal from getting to hot and needing a new bbq every year or so. but you gotta throw away most of the other parts after you remove the usable stuff anyway.

As far as using a fridge as a smoker, the shelves are not stainless will impart bad flavor and maybe even cause you to get sick off the meat you smoke, and the plastic parts tend to melt, and by the time a person gets all done with it you could go buy a small commercial unit with everything all tested out for about the same pricetag.....

I dont mean to sarcastic, but usually if an appliance cannot be fixed, then it is totally junk, but if it can be fixed then use it!

William

10. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

I just love the ideas I find within these kind of posts! I sure appreciate seeing what others are doing.
    I have an old chest freezer that I thought I wanted to get hauled off, been fussing at DH for months now to do so....No way now it's gonna be a worm bed and as matter of fact I'm gonn'a be looking for a few more to have hauled in :haha:
    Thanks to seeing what all they can be used for!

Great thread MN Mom

11. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I have seen old washer casings used as goat warmers. They took the bottom out and attached a warming light into the lid. Cut out one side and you have a sturdy goat warmer with a thermostat (opening lid a bit).

12. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I've not done it, but couldn't those be done for holding a few baby chicks in? With the holes in the washer drums they let air in and they're tall enough that they couldn't fly out for awhile. Just wondering...and wishing now that I didn't take an old chest freezer to the dump a couple months ago. :waa:

13. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I know a couple of gals who use an old wringer washer to clean their carrots before canning. They dig, put them in the washer with water and let it agitate for awhile. They say that they don't have to peel them before canning. I would spray them off first so you don't get a whole lot of dirt that could clog up the machine.