Use of Sandwich Panels in Stables

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Dear All,

I would like to ask whether anyone can point me to resources on usage of insulated metal panels in barns. As far as I know, it is useful to use insulated panels mainly for these reasons:

- In very hot areas, it helps greatly keep the inside temperature at reasonable levels
    - Helps prevent condensation (otherwise risk of pneumonia?)
    - At heavy rains, single sheet claddings will make terrible noise and scare the animals, whereas an insulated panel will transmit less noise

I would be grateful if anyone could lead me to a useful resource.

All the best,
    Alex

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

My only comment is:

If this barn is going to contain horses at any time, you might want to think twice! My nice new (at the time) horse trailer that was parked in the pasture magically came up with a huge dent in the front of it!! And I'm certain THAT metal is much denser than any 'panels' you may be considering!! And NO.. my horses aren't wild.. I think they were just happy! :eek: Must have been a cool breeze!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Why not a straw bale barn?

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

You should post plans of your straw bale barns. I know that I'd be interested.

5. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

You may be able to "backdoor" into metal panels simply by searchign SIP's in general (Structural Insulated Panels). The links at the top of this page may be a possible jumping off point as well. Bear in mind that you can also accomplish a lot with manufactured concrete foundations as well. Concrete panels poured under controlled factory conditions are reported to have greater density, better R- value, and lower water penetration. Try searching Superior Foundations as I forget the name of the company I tripped over.