Use/Market for 100 year old windows?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hisenthlay, Apr 13, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Hi all,

Last year our heating bills were too high, and we reluctantly decided to replace almost all of the original windows in our almost 100 year old house. The windows were the really pretty kind where the glass isn't quite flat, so you get kind of a rippled effect when you look outside. They're all in their wood frames (in pretty good shape, except for flaking lead paint), with the functional pulley systems and everything.

I couldn't bear to throw them away--they're nice, and have a historic quality that I like. Does anyone know of a way to make use of these 20 some windows of varying sizes? Or, is there a market for them--maybe historical restoration, or artists, or something?

I'm going to use a few of the smaller ones to make dried flower arrangements to hang on the wall (I saw this at a craft show, very charming), but that still leaves a lot of windows.

Thanks!

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

cold frames or the start of a greenhouse

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

There is DEFINITELY a market for those windows -

If you end up not using them on the homestead, consider taking them to an antique dealer & see what he'll give you -

Better yet, if you live in an area where you could have a yard sale with some good traffic, you could make a bundle on those windows

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Darn, before I opened this thread I thought it said: Use/Market for 100 year old WIDOWS? I couldn't wait to see some of the replies, I'm so diasppointed.

5. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

:haha: ROFLMHO!!!!!!!!!

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

You would have a good start making one very nice green house!

7. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

There's always ebay. I'd bet you could make a killing selling old windows.

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i agree. i did the same thing on my old house, and my friend, whose husband collects antiques, gave me $150 for 20 windows and she thought she got a great deal. do NOT use them around the homestead. if it were me, i'd put them in a safe place in the attic or barn. they will only get more valuable.

9. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Well, this is GREAT! I knew they had to be worth something. I'll look into the antiques dealer angle, and they're safe and sound in the attic for now.

They're very heavy and kinda fragile (being primarily glass and all), so I'm not sure how shipping would work with ebay--I bet it would be pricey.

These antiques people who buy them--what do they use them for, I wonder? It would be good to know, because maybe I could use them for that myself--I was so sad to see them come out, even though it was the most practical decision. Maybe it's silly, but I'm kind of attached to them. Of course, for the right price, though....

Thanks, all :)

10. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to do some work for an artist. She'd pay you a bundle for windows like that. She custom paints scenes on them. Any that have broken glass she replaces the glass with a mirror and paints in on that.
    This is expensive art work I am talking about. Know your windows can only make you some $ but also make other people very happy too.

PQ

11. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

They're great for shadow box paintings. You can make a box, paint a scene inside of it, and use the window on top. Or, you can apply a flat scene behind it and mount the set on the wall. It's great for rooms where you don't have the best view - like bathrooms or offices.

12. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Around here they go for 100-150 dollars painted with crackle finish paint, some silk flowers, and maybe a stencil like ivy painted on the glass. Very inexpensive to do and use as wall art :)
    Jodi
    Hubby is a French Polisher and buys old glass to replace broken old glass in cabinets etc.
    Good luck.

13. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I tried selling mine about a year ago. Mine were hand built in 1850.

Everyone I talked to told me they were worth something, but no one would give me anything for them.

Mine ended up on my burn pile after I had moved them about 20 times. Next time I'll put them straight on the burn pile.

Sorry to be negative, but that was my experience.

Pete

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

yes, old rolled glass is VERY valuable, the trick is finding a buyer.
    people who resore historic houses and buildings will pay good money, if you have a reasonable age and can tel then where it came from, it adds to the value.

find local historic reconstriction businesses near you and see if they are interested in the lot.

15. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

Try e-bay. Try your county or state historic preservation organization. I coordinate our county historic preservation program, and if you didn't live 1/2 a continent away, I'd be at your door with my truck. Please don't throw them in a burn pile. Think about what those 100-year-old windows have seen. I know I am being a bit dramatic, but I HATE to see something so old and in still in decent shape thrown aside. Here in Colorado, those windows would sell like hot-cakes and all of the above ideas would bring even more dollars just because they used historic windows!

16. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

heheh I did too, guess we are both Lysdexic!

Anyway, I saw on PBS the "the old house" or "yankee workshop" or one of them where they specically went to an antique shop to buy old windows. They paid a pretty price for them too. I'd have to say there is a market. Bet you could do a search on google and find out.

Maybe these people can help:

http://www.oldhouseparts.com/