USDA's Food Stamp/WIC report

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Dec 22, 2006.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

This was just released by the USDA a couple hours ago. It's a 41 page PDF document, so you need Adobe to read it.

I'm not finished reading it yet, but so far I'm shocked at USDA's estimate that 70% of food stamps are diverted to non-cash purchases.

Reminds me of the neighbor I used to have who would take off to town with his wife every month as soon as they got their food stamps, and come home with their car full of cases of beer, and very little food for the kids. :flame:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ccr27/ccr27.pdf

2. Melissa

Melissa member

70%???? That is crazy. I don't mind people who really need help getting it. I don't want children to go hungry, but that is a lot of fraud and waste. The stores that allow them to do this should be heavily fined if caught.

3. ladycat

I think in most cases the stores don't even know what's going on.

Someone who wants beer will take someone else "shopping". Like this: I'll buy you $200 worth of groceries if you'll buy me $100 worth of beer and ciggies.

But I do know some grocery stores are periodically busted for food stamp fraud.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

It doesn't say that. It says "It is estimated about 70 percent of Food Stamp benefits are used to divert household cash income to nonfood expenditures" - that means because people get foodstamps they can use their OTHER income to pay for things like rent, clothing, and electric.

5. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Thank you for the clarification! That makes more sense!

One of my sisters gets food stamps. She is very thrifty about using them. She is amazing. She uses coupons, shops the sales, and uses her food stamps--and boy can she stretch her nickels.

I'm proud of her. And I'm very thankful that she gets these food stamps.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Typical though that so many folks will read, or assume that those that have to get temporary assistance will abuse the system.

Like Wildwood Flower, my experience has been that those in need are pretty darn careful with what they are given. On rare occasions, all they need is a bit of education about how to use their benefits to best benefit their family.

7. ladycat

Having been around poor people all my life, mainly because I have been poor most of my life, I've seen so much abuse of the welfare (and disability) system it makes me ill to think about it.

8. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

And even being on disability does not get you into the food stamp program. I am on SS Dis. and with another policy for long term Disability I make way over the limit to even get Close to be getting food stamps. Now when that added insurance runs out in another 12 years I MAY qualify but not now and may not even at age 67 when LTD runs out. But it would be nice. I am also above the limit by a small amount of money to get help on Part D for prescriptions.

9. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

My dh and I were $12.00 over their small limit thats why we bought this property with 3 older mobiles on it so we could live seperate,to get the medical help in which we needed,I still think they are gonna tell us to divorce anyway. I was just wanting the kids to get out of school first.oh and my older disabled daughter I could not live with her either,so she has her own home here to.,paula,h.

10. cc

cc Well-Known Member Supporter

It is really tough when a person is in a situation where you make to much for help but not enough to live on. We get a food pack from the Angel Food Ministries for $25 and it really helps stretch our food dollars. They don't "qualify" a person or family by income so anyone can purchase them. You might want to check and see if they have a program where you live. The web site has a way to check and see if there is a program where you live. www.Angelfoodministries.com

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

oh cc thank you, but i am doing pretty good as long as the long term disability insurance keeps on going. I am doing pretty good on that plus SS. I did stop at Goodwill today and bought a couple of NEW Blankets. Good ones too. Big ones. like 4.95 a piece, blankets that would be nearly 50 bucks else where~! I live alone, I rent and paid up all but one piece of plastic, which is just a few hundred now. Car is paid off, things like that so I am OK.
    But if my RA gets worse I may have to go into a low income housing unit, well that will help as most utilities then are paid, and the rent is determined by your monthly income.
    But what is saving me right now I pay 400 a month and the HEAT is paid for. So if that was to change I would have to go elsewhere to live I am afraid. and then give up my 2 critters, one mini horse, and a dog for companionship.

12. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

cc,
    I went to angelfoodministries website and I was blessed just watching the promo. video. While we don't need anything at this time there is a host site about 45 min away from here and I want my kids to help with this. I will be calling soon to find out when we can help. Thanks for posting their website, it was a real blessing for me. tyusclan momma

13. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Just because they divert them for non-food items doesn't mean they are buying drugs or alcohol. When they used to have the paper stamps, I watched a lady buy several peices of gum separately so she could get the .95 change. When she had enough cash, she bought diapers for her baby. She said they gave her over $300.00 per month in food stamps and since she cooked from scratch, she never used that much in a month, but she would run out of money for cash items. She was working full-time, making minimum wage, so she just wasn't making enough.

I was watching an episode of ER once and George Clooney got on a high horse because this women's children were malnourished. She had sold her food stamps for cash to pay the electric bill. She asked him how long her children would have lived in Chicago with no heat.

Sometimes people get stuck between a rock and a hard place and they have to do what they have to do.

14. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

not anywhere near us. White

15. WhiteChristmas

Get told all the time. even when we were in the shelter apply for them.. OH WAIT A MINUTE you've got a PO box cause your homeless. Well you can't prove you live there. Hmmm how about a letter from the shelter nope need a bill with your name. how about ss numbers. we we got them but no cards as everything we owned was stolen. Oh your birth certifates for you all is from another state. they don't look like ours must be fakes then. Oh you were married in VA but the mariage cert looks fake too. {has all the markings and is a real one} but not on that fancy blue rice paper thier using now. 8 weeks daily of that crap. while begging for any work. While a fat couple walks in and gets $600. in food and help with no damn work,and they're WEARING Juicy clothes. HUH! I'm blessed to have my waitress clothes and two pairs of sweats. and my kids five changes and my husband's unform and two shirts and two paris of jeans. and no real money. WE CAN"T GET HELP!

Won't even go there about all the hoops we had to jump to get to this trailor we were in. White

16. WhiteChristmas

just after going thru all this. and still not always seeing the light. I get ticked. that's why the post on the house thing.

white

17. buttercup

buttercup Well-Known Member

WhiteChristmas-

if you are having trouble getting the foodstamps that you qualify for, you should contact your local Legal Aid Organisation. A google search would probably help you locate the one closest to you in your state. Might seem like adding another beurocracy to the list, but these people specialize in Public Benefits Law, and even delayed, the foodstamps will help.

Best Luck.
    BC