USDA/FDA Impose New Livestock Feeding Restrictions (Reposted)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

First posting was for testing, which was why it shows up as having been deleted.

In an 1/27/04 AP article (lost link) it was reported the USDA will ban the feeding of blood meal to cattle and other grazing animals, including sheep and goats. It was used as a feed supplement and as a milk substitute for feeding young/veal calves. Apparently it will still be authorized for poultry and garden usage.

Also, the FDA:

- Prohibited cow brains and other parts in cosmetics, as well as human dietary supplement. (I believe some medications are made from parts of the cattle brain but that is not mentioned in the article.)

- Banned chicken waste from livestock feed. (The chicken litter had to be composed first.) Likely result will be to decrease what feedlots pay to stocker operators or producers selling calves ready to go into the feedlot as they will have to substitute more expensive feed. I consider it unlikely the cost will go upwards to the retail case.

- Require factories to have separate production lines for bovine feed and feed for other animals, as a guard against accidental cross-contamination. Here it may increase the cost of feed if it reduces the producer's efficiency with having to use separate lines. I suspect the biggies will just dedicate plants to certain feed while the independents go out of business.

- Banned the use of uneaten meat and other scraps from restaurants from livestock feed. This 'plate waste' can mask prohibited proteins, making it harder for inspectors to know whether such proteins made their way into feed. Previously restaurant plate scrapings and left over unsold food could be sold to at least swine operations if it was cooked in a prescribed manner prior to feeding. It is thought the outbreak of hoof and mouth disease in England started from the feeding of undercooked galley waste from ships in a port. I rather doubt this will have a significant impact as it is not, to my knowledge, a widespread practice.

(This might have a trickle down effect to the homesteaders. To my knowledge you are allowed to feed kitchen scraps to hogs only if they will be for your own consumption. If they find it has been done with hogs you raise for others there may be penalties.

- FDA will increase inspections of feed mills and renderers, which process cattle carcasses into meat and bone meal, usually for food for pets and livestock. Apparently M&BM from ruminants can still be fed to non-ruminants. Impact here is an increased funding requirement by the FDA - which translates into more of your tax dollars.

Yet to be addressed is a nationwide birth to retail tracking of meats. IMBO the producers will end up paying for the bulk of it and it may well drive more small producers out of the business.

There ain't no free rides.

Ken S. in WC TN

2. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Coleman Natural Products(the beef section) has had tracking in place for a few years now. We have had to put eartags with bar codes on all our cattle for several years although they haven't had the system fully completed. We like to idea of keeping track from birth till death but of course we don't like any added expenses or paperwork. We already have enough of that. We also like the crackdown on the ingredients put into animal feed. All of our years of feeding cattle we have just fed what we grew on our farm. Actually I believe these rules might benefit the small producer. The feed companies are not going to like it, though. The phone has been ringing off the wall with customers wanting natural beef. Country of origin labeling will also be a good thing IMHO.

Hubby was watching the National Cattlemans Association meeting on RFDTV and was really disgusted and down right mad at what they are up to......just a bunch of political puppets. Those being interviewed just tapdanced around any questions from callers. We don't belong and never will. Marilyn, the farmer's wife...............

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

On Scarborough (sp) Country on MSNBC or FOX can't remember which channel it's on is something to do with mad cow tonight. I just caught the tale end of it so don't have many details, just something like "do we know everything". If I get the chance I'll watch.

Carol K