USDA certified meat.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Jun 21, 2006.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

When you guys take a hog to the butcher and you have it wrapped and labeled for resale ,do they put a reasonable expiration date on it? I am thinking of getting one cut and wrapped with labels because some people would probably make it a little easier to sell with the sophisticated look a label can have.. My only worry is the exp date will be like 3 days after I pick it up.Might be a little hard to get rid of it in 3 days...

2. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

Last fall when we still lived in Wisconsin we used a state inspected processor and they did not put any kind of expiration date on the packaging they put the butcher date on. My BIL here in AL uses a processor for beef that also puts the processing date on the packaging (also a state inspected processor.)----Paul

3. frog1437

What is the usual turn around time on beef/pork from processing date to sell date?

4. frog1437

I think I found the answer to my own question.. Dating of Beef Products
    Product dating is not required by Federal regulations. However, many stores and processors may voluntarily date packages of raw beef or processed beef products. If a calendar date is shown, there must be a phrase explaining the meaning of the date.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

It also depends deeply on whether it is sold as "fresh" or "frozen" I believe.

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

almost all beef & pork that is processed by usda facilities is then returned back to the customer totally frozen & therefore there is no expiration date on the product.
    Some people get there sausage back fresh , when i have done this it has never come with an expiration date on it.
    Grocery stores that sell meat fresh provide an expiration date i believe ,, but to be honest it has been so ling since we bought meat in a store that i cant remember.
    I dont think it will be an issue for you
    Good Luck
    Rick

7. Suburban Farm

Suburban Farm Farmer Wannabe

AS Far as USDA at our plant they usually don't put a Expiration date on our meat. But it usually does not stay in the cooler for more then 2 days. But if you are going to do USDA you will have to find a USDA slaughtering house plus a USDA processing room to get USDA mark on it. Some butcher shops have USDA but you have to make phone calls and ask. We do that for a few people.

Cheryl

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Cheryl is right...some are just state certified and you can't resale the meat. Our meat doesn't have an expiration date either. Just date stamped the date they cut and wrap. It is because we pick it up frozen not fresh.

9. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

UMMM, YUMMMM, Showpig Duroc Porkchops grilled to perfection. Smothered in BBQ Sauce. A side of Slaw, some JO-JO potatoes and a Kettle of Baked Beans...........Oh Why do I torture myself thusly?

10. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

SHHH! Puerco might hear you!!

Is Duroc tastier? What are JO-JO potatoes?

11. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

ya, what are jo jo potatoes???

12. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

JO JO potatoes are one of the items on the menu of the new BBQ joint opening in wisconsin " Up North's Piggy Pork Pit" .It will feature the finest in bbq, including that old time German favorite, BBQ Kraut. As a matter of fact ,Up North will soon be featured on "The Chef's Table"...listen for his appearence on your local NPR station.

13. Up North

Basically you take a large long potato, cut it lengthwise into 8 sections similar to Apple Slices. Then they are deep fried, and lightly seasoned. Line a wicker bread tray with gingham check towel, load it up with JO-JO's, and plunk it on da pikinic table along with BBQ Chops...................................................
    It's enough to make Kate Moss strap on the feedbag, LOL.

BucketShot's pork is tastier because it is raised in an oxygen depleted high elevation region. Flavor Nodules settle in the meat where oxygen normally would be. Rocky Mountain High Hams, Pueblo Porkchops.....the Marketing Possibilities are endless, LOL.....yes, dis is da SPOOF,LOL

14. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Wellllllll, to make a Pueblo Porkchop, you would grill it with tasty aneheim peppers, YUMM YUMM. Unfortunatly, we have plenty of O2 in the air. About 2 hours from the mountains.

15. Up North

Yer wit is only exceeded by yer imagination, LOL. Had to scrap the German theme as me Lederhosen kept getting wound into the manure spreader auger.
    Thinking Norwegian BBQ - Open Pit Birchbark Smoked Lutefisk anyone??