Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a Japanese company and a North American company decided to have a canoe race...

So a Japanese company and a US company decided to have a canoe race on the Hudson River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile. The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.

A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the US team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing. So, US management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

To prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team’s management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder.

It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program“, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles. Humiliated, the US management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments in new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year’s racing team was outsourced to India.

Reactions: ET1 SS

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I like that, and my wife who has to work for an ever changing parade of upper management will like it even more.

As a farmer and watching the new wave of management model affect both sides of farming, I just shake my head.

people that have no clue what farming is or how it works are putting in place bizarre platforms and goals and targets for their teams that are just. Stupid. The new management style seems to be to tell production what to do, without ever bothering to find out what is being produced or how it needs to be produced.

stupid.

Just stupid.

Paul

·
Registered
809 Posts
I could never work in corporate America.

I know a guy who has worked in mills in the past.

Went to a local big national mill and was in a group of 12 new hires.

They drew seniority status out of a hat. They were told thiwrbpast experience was going to be ignored and by pulling names out of the hat that is how the hierarchy would be set.

So a 18 year old girl who last week was flipping burgers was senior to 4 guys who had worked many years in the industry.

He quit after two days. They told him after his 60 day probation, he would be randomly pulled aside by the management and have to give a speech about his hobby. And how he would make his hobby safer. And if it wasn't a good enough presentation, they would fail probation.

*** is that.

He just turned and walked away.

Like I said, I could never work for a corporation. I'm the worlds worst employee, and proud of it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A printing company I worked at for years hired an outside consultant. He would walk around the shop with a clipboard and analyze us working. The best idea he could come up with to improve efficiency- run the machines faster!
I don’t know who’s dumber, the consultant or the dopes who hired him?

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I'm glad I work for a company that is old school. I answer to only 2 people. The owners and the client. If one of my project managers say something stupid I call them out on it. Same goes for them when I do it. The company has been around over a hundred years and the next generation coming up looks like they are cut from the same cloth.

I see other very large companies like this come and go. They offer me more money and better perks. Problem is, my father told me to never work with someone dumber than yourself. I'm a pretty smart guy when I'm not clowning around in here.

·
Registered
34,202 Posts
A printing company I worked at for years hired an outside consultant. He would walk around the shop with a clipboard and analyze us working. The best idea he could come up with to improve efficiency- run the machines faster!
I don’t know who’s dumber, the consultant or the dopes who hired him?
The joke was, "What is a consultant? A guy that borrows your watch to tell you what time it is."

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
The joke was, "What is a consultant? A guy that borrows your watch to tell you what time it is."
Years ago when I first started my business I had a SCORE guy "mentor" me. Hey it was free but you get what you pay for.

After a week he told me that everything was looking pretty good but I needed to do a few things. He said I needed to join the richest largest church in town, buy a brand new truck and coach little league baseball for the team with the richest parents.

Huh, I guess I am still doing it wrong.

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
The OP looks like most school district management models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts