US Army Surplus rubber overshoes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Mar 21, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Ok, needed new pair overshoes. The $16 yellow china made overshoes at farm store just dont hold up and seem to dry rot within a year. The old rubber 5 buckle boots like we used on farm when I was a kid sell for around $40 now days. :eek:

Got to looking on ebay and found these new army surplus overshoes/chemical boots:

[​IMG]

There were multiple sellers of these boots and one seller said to get couple sizes bigger than shoe size. Ok did that and got a pair for total delivered price of $11. However these will not go over shoe while on my foot even using the walmart plastic bag trick (lowers friction between rubber soled shoe and rubber boot). Today I needed the overshoes so folded my hiking boot flat as I could get it and stuck it in a walmart bag and with some manipulation got it into the overshoe. Pulled up the tongue and body of boot into normal position and was able to wiggle my foot into the hiking boot thats now inside the overshoe.

This worked but cant believe this is the Army way of doing it. Bunch of military/ex-military types here. What is the Army way of using these overshoes? They are definitely overshoes and not boots one just sticks sock foot into as sole is too thin for any kind of protection if just worn as a "no shoe" type muck boot. If no other suggestions, I'll just look for a cheap pair of penny loafers to leave in these overshoes, would make getting foot in them lot easier than when using the hiking boots.

By way these look to be pretty good quality. Guess Army only buys the best. I probably dont want to know what the government paid for these.

2. Drizler

Drizler Well-Known Member

Any I had just fit right over the basic combat boot. You might have a problem if you have a heavy lug raised sole hiking boot but otherwise it should fit over. Sounds to me like like you need a larger size. Incidentally those green boots with the elastic loop ties are way better than the old black golashes with the buckles, I really hated them and they were noisy and very heavy. FWIW Sportsmans guide and related surplus places usually have them.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I am size 10 shoe and these boots are size 12! How much bigger do I need to buy them? Dont really want clown size overshoes! By way hiking boots once in the overshoes have plenty space, wouldnt want anymore room, just neck of the overshoe is so narrow that they wont go over shoe if shoe is on my foot. Maybe these are some rejects or something. And just for added info, friend that was over had smaller feet than mine and was wearing tennis shoes and couldnt get these overshoes on either.

I'll just assume these are rejects due to the too narrow opening and seller was trying to make a quick buck off a free windfall. Still nice boots. I'll just get pair cheap loafers one of these days to leave in them so I can get them on and off easily.

The five buckle overshoes may have been bit clunky but they were durable. No idea if they still are or if they have been cheapened as much as possible. Durability doesnt seem to be a high priority in clothing anymore. Maybe nobody does manual labor?

4. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I remember them old 5 buckles well. That's all we had as kids. Them and those "insulated" green boots.
    I think you got a reject HJ. I wear a size 10 boot and a 12 or 13 use to work well in those MOPP boots. Try spraying the inside with silicone. I bet they'll slide right on.