Urinary issues with my ram

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Sep 6, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

:grit:

This is shaping up to be one heck of a summer. My ram lamb, 9 months, wasn't moving this morning. Seemed bright eyed enough, gums were still pink, voice was strong, but he was definitely down and in pain. Called the vet and found stones from the bladder. Forget the technical term.

Anyway, she cuts off the tippy top and I get to feel how hard it is, and he's standing and draining pretty good. She gave him penicillin and banamine, then gave me a bill for more than I paid for the bugger.

About an hour later he got up on his own and went to eat. I had some errands to run, but checked on him before I took off. He was laying in the shed, which is shady, and when I made him get up he did, but went to stand under a tree. I figure good, it's not exactly hot but he's searching for shade here in the shed.

I finally get home and he's in the shed again. Doesn't want to get up. I make him, and he drips a bit of urine. No steady stream, and he's gritting again, pawing the ground and backing up.

I've got to make a decision here. I don't want him in pain, but I'm also not going to put any more money into him. I'd planned on eating him if he didn't sell, but I need to get the banamine through the system first.

How long will it take for it to work it's way through? Should I just cut my losses and forget butchering? Obviously, I want the meat to be safe, but as I said, I don't want him suffering. Will his meat still be good for dog food with the banamine in his system? And how else can I recoup my losses at this point? His fleece is about 2 inches long...I can't imagine trying to shear him in the condition he's in now, we'd need to kill him first. Or do pelts sell well enough to make that an option?

ps...I've learned a thing or two about diet, and part of the problem is our soil in this area. Nothing can be done about it. He's not on a high grain diet, just a handful a day, and he's had to share a flake of alfalfa/orchard grass hay with a ewe, and that's just been the past few weeks. Other than that, it's been nothing but grass for the boy :(

2. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your ram lamb.

Don't know what the withdrawal time is, your vet should be able to tell you.

Urinary Calculi ....
    Did they say anything about drenching with ammonium chloride or salt 1x/day ?
    Did the vet give you another dose of Banamine ? If he were mine and only had a dose this a.m. I would give him an aspirin to help his comfort till morning when you can talk with the vet.
    Make sure he is drinking water to keep things flowing through.
    Maybe some vitamin B complex to increase his energy and appetite ?

Just a few ideas, hope they help.

3. kesoaps

Yep, I've got two more days worth of penicillin and banamine here for him. Plus, I went out and got the AC this afternoon as well. (That's when my car quit on me...battery I think...but the goods are still out there in the county waiting for my dh to come home from work, at which point he'll throw a hissy fit over having to go fix the car after 14 hours on the job, and complain a bit more about the sheep costing money...Lucky me!)

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Ammonium chloride! Make sure he gets ammonium chloride every day. Cut any and all grain out of his diet.

If you don't have any ammonium chloride, I'm in Maple Falls and can give you some.

5. kesoaps

Thanks for the offer Jen, I picked it up this afternoon just before my car conked out.

Good news is that when I got home this evening (after fetching the car) he was out grazing and even had a good long stream of urine while I watched. Hooray!