urinary calculi in male cats

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Rita, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried to get some information on this in the Search but it seemed to be only about goat urinary problems. Is there an herbal/natural remedy that will keep male cats from getting this problem or to use after a cat has been treated for the problem at the vet's? thanks, Rita

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I know they make foods fortified to reduce the occurrance of the stones. I know also that in goats we use vinegar in the water, might work the same for cats

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Also make sure you feed foods low in ash to prevent the stones from forming.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Brat the Cat has that and we feed him a special cat food to prevent it. Once a week, he gets regular cat food as a treat BUT only then.

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

There are special foods aimed at modifying the pH of the urine, but you need to know what type of stone you are dealing with to make sure you put the cat on the right food.

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I was asking for a friend of mine and she was picking the cat up at the vet's yesterday and I guess he will tell her what type stones he has and what to feed him. She doesn't have a computer and thought maybe there was something else to use also. Not sure if cat's would drink water with vinegar in it. Rita