Urgent!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl92, May 29, 2005.

1. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

OK i really need help with this. My baby goats were dehorned using the hot iron about 4 weeks ago. the lady gave tetnas shots to them both and said call back in three weeks. i still havent gotten the chance to call. just now when i went out to feed them, i saw that the buck's left horn spot was bleeding pretty badly. it wasnt gushing or pouring but it was all over the spot that was dehorned. i checked the doeling and her left one is peeling with a little bit of under the peels. Is this normal?? they never bleed when she dehorned them and i have never done this before. any information, good or bad would be very very helpful. Goatgirl

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Relax. It's completely normal. When their heads are burned, they form a scab. Eventually, the scab can just fall off, but more commonly, it gets scratched off or knocked off, hence the blood. You can spray a little antiseptic on it if it makes you feel better. but it will heal up fine in any case.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Ditto.....I have one that keeps taking her back foot and reaching around there and scratching hers and making it bleed. Wash it off and spray some Furall (yellow spray) or some other wound spray on it. It will eventually heal.

4. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Thanks!! So how long does it take till the skin starts to grow back?

5. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

It can take several weeks. My doe never grew her hair back on one of the spots. The other one covered fine, but her right one has a little bald spot. It's ok, not noticeable at all unless you are scratchingher head, which she loves.