URGENT - truck with 4 working border collies stolen!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Runestone, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Runestone

Runestone Well-Known Member

I know this might not be the right place to post, but working border collies are irrreplaceable and this is a widely viewed formum. This happened today.
    This is the link -

http://www.wyomingstockdog.com/

If you're in that neck of the woods...please watch for the truck but more importantly the dogs.

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Bump! I hope they find the dogs, trucks can be replaced.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Praying your dogs will be found safe. This is so terrible. I can only imagine what you are going through.

4. Runestone

Oh, I don't want to mislead anyone. These are not my dogs. I just have a great love for this breed (I have two of my own - not stock dogs though) and this was posted on another forum I frequent. I just wanted to get the word out to as many folks as I could. They still haven't been found and the owners are desperately hoping the dogs are found.
    So...if nothing else, good thoughts and prayers for their recovery would be nice.

5. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I SO hope they find those dogs!

Three years ago, this past Thanksgiving, I stopped to use a restroom at a business. I had my little 13-inch Beagle (Hannah) with me, like always. I had recently bought the car used and it didn't come with a doorkey. I was careful to park under the brightest lights, right in front of the door to the business. Ran in, used the restroom, and when I came out my little dog was gone (it is still so hard to think about). I was hysterical. I ran ads in the paper (they wouldn't let me say she was "stolen," because I didn't actually see someone "steal" her), I posted flyers for miles around, and I checked out every lead, no matter how unlikely and farfetched, for months. I also was in the animal shelter every evening after work.

I would gladly have preferred they steal the car and leave my beloved little dog.

(I now have two Border Collies who I love dearly.)

Hopefully this all works out.

Janis

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would definitely be contacting the shelters over the entire area in case the thief dumps them and they end up in a shelter.

My BC is so nuts in my vehicles a person would have to be a fool to even try to get in. He actually has teeth marks scratched in the side window from snapping at people walking by the truck. Lately he has taken to jumping out and trying to track me down. One time he ended up stuck in a restaurant bathroom. Another time he tracked me into our local airport where I was attending a meeting and got arrested. I had to bail him out of doggy jail.

I leave him home unless it's winter and I can have the windows rolled up now.

7. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wonder how the truck was stolen. Too many people (espically in Wichita) have a tendency to leave cars with windows down parked at Walmart and such.....if that happened then there's not much you can do if it was your fault. I've left windows down but I usually have dogs who will bite if you put your hands thru the window! Hope they get their dogs back!

8. Runestone

As far as I know, the shelters in the area are on alert. As well, a veterinarian on the other board was going to use her contacts in the area as well. Someone else managed to get the information on the local television station as well. Here's hoping whoever stole the truck will at least see the dogs are safe somewhere. Unless, of course, they wanted the dogs :(

9. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Well this news breaks my heart. I would rather lose all my material goods than to loose my dogs. Unlikely the windows were down in Colorado in January. Thieves have all kinds of "tools" to break into, and make off with a vehicle. Border Collies are valuable dogs too, especially these 4 trained dogs. I hope the thieves realize the value of the dogs and do not dispose of them by dumping or worse. Please keep us updated on this. My prayers are with the owners.

10. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Praying for the safe return of the dogs, too. Seems to be too much of this crud going around these days. On another board I frequent, a Showbird got stolen this weekend also. Just a crying shame...

11. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Bump. Hope the dogs are recovered soon!

12. Runestone

I just checked the other board [11.30 pm EST] and there's no good news yet. I'd be sick to death if it were my dogs. Keep praying for them to be found safe & sound.

13. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Just checked, and the dogs are reported found and returned to the owners. Hooray! I'd rather replace my beloved truck than loyal working dogs.

14. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya beat me to it. We get a Denver news station at 9pm here and they reported they had found the truck with the dogs safe and sound. The owners had the dogs crated in the back as they were packing up at the hotel, getting ready to leave. He had left the truck running BUT locked.

15. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Woo Hoo!! Wonderful news!!

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

So good to hear they've been found okay!

17. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

18. Runestone

I think it's important to know that the Internet and all the crossposting that took place immediately, probably resulted in the recovery of both the dogs and the vehicle! There were so many people who aren't involved with border collies watching out for the vehicle and dogs!
    Thanks to Homesteading Today for allowing the cross post esp. since it wasn't 'homesteading' related!

19. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

What wonderful news. We all love our animals and know the joy they felt at the return of the beloved pets.

20. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Great news :)

I'd have to disagree about lost dogs not being homesteading related since most of us have dogs, and some of them actually earn their keep on our homesteads :)

Hugs
    Marlene