Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Larry Christine and Sarah
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOXIC PLANT WARNING PLEASE READ AND PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT SOMEONE MAY ALREADY KNOW THIS!!!!!

RED MAPLE TREE LEAVES BOTH WILD AND ORNAMENTAL ARE VERY TOXIC TO HORSES IN THE WILTING STAGE.

It is called RED MAPLE TOXICITY and it is a very unforgiving toxin. It acts on the red blood cells rupturing them thus preventing them from carrying oxygen through the body. Then it deprives the body of the needed oxygen, in turn, acting on the major organs. It causes the horse to become anemic and then acts on the muscles. The horse continues to get worse until their body gives up from the effects of the lack of oxygen and severe anemia.

We did not know this and in the past 24 hours, we have lost two of our horses. The other two horses are in need your prayers.

A Red Maple Tree limb fell during a sudden windy rain storm Monday night. When the sun came up Tuesday morning the leaves began to wilt. The horses nibbled on some of the leaves and I mean some. From what the vet told us, it takes very little of the leaves to become fatal. Tuesday night, one horse died. We rushed the other three to the vet hospital and they started on them right away but then Wednesday night the second one died.

Please do not think that someone may already know this because I have called horse owners all over East Tennessee today. I found not one of them had knowledge of this terrible toxic plant. I even had a friend in another town who called his vet and asked them about it and they said they had never heard of it.
Please pass this on in hopes that no one else will have to go through seeing the horses they love go through what we have watched ours go through.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
choke cherry trees are also very toxic to horses in the wilt-stage.

black walnuts are also very poisnous to them.

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
ditto for wild cherry for cattle, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts