Urgent Question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

We finally had our first live litter after almost 6 months of trying
    and waiting so anyhow my question is mama had 5 babies and its very
    cold tonight so I brought the nest box in, should I keep it out there
    incase she has more babies or just keep it inside the house ??

Not real sure what to do at this point...

they are all squeeking and look great.

Thanks

Tiffany

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

:yeeha: Lazy does! Surprised they concieved in the first place if it took that long...Anyway, the kits should be fine outside with Mom as long as they have plenty of bedding and fur in the nestbox. Who knows, maybe there's still some kits in the oven. How cold does it get by you?

3. Tiffann4k

Yah they are plenty warm but I guess I was just overly excited this being the first live litter ( we had 2 others that froze, a litter of 9 and of 4 )

Ya she has plenty of fur, I am suprised she is not bald!! LOL

Right now its 8 degrees

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We always fill the cage up with hay and the momma rabbit will make the nest as warm and windproof as necessary. We just had a litter last week but it only gets into the upper 20's here so were not as cold as you. Just make sure the wind can't get to them and if possible load the hutch up with hay.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

5. Tiffann4k

Well this morning I went out so she can feed them, then I noticed her lying kinda funny in the nest box so my daughters and I stopped to see what she was doing and she gave birth to 6 more kits!! Unfortunatly 5 of them were stillborn and one was alive. So we have 6 kits that are alive and doing great!

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Tiffany-

We had a litter of 8 last week (our first) and they all froze by morning. We thought the doe had plenty of fur and hay in the nest box, but apparently we were wrong.
    We had a second litter of 8 two nights ago and we brought the box inside after the doe was through kindling and had fed the babies. We have read that the doe only nurses once a day, and that usually happens at night, so we have been taking the box back out each night and letting her nurse. Then we read on this forum that someone else's doe was nursing twice a day, so this morning we took the box out again- we left it for 30 minutes but the doe showed no sign of wanting to nurse so we brought it back inside. The temps here have been as low as -10 at night, with daytime highs in the teens this week. We are not sure how long the babies would last if left out there, but we are pretty sure that they would not last very long. Now we are trying to figure out how long to keep them inside- we don't want to lose this batch so we will probably err on the side of caution and keep them in longer than necessary.

Good luck with your litter.

7. Elizabeth

Just re-read your post, and wondered- why do you think that the 5 dead kits were stillborn? and not born live, later freezing?

8. Tiffann4k

Because like I said in my last post we watched her have them so that is how I know they were stillborn :)

*** EDITED TO ADD***

Sorry I guess I left out that I took the box out to let her nurse, the kits stayed in the house all night and when I put the box back in her cage this morning to nurse is when she had the other 6, I guess now rereading my previous post it does kind of sound like I found them there when I went out this morning, sorry for the confusion

9. Tiffann4k

Also i have been taking them out in the morning and at night to nurse, I guess I am being a little over protective of them..LOL

10. Elizabeth

Sorry, my bad- I misread the post to mean that she had already given birth to the 5 that dies. Thanks for clarifying.

So does your doe nurse morning and night? Ours did not seem interested this morning- maybe tomorrow we will take them out and leave them a bit longer- they are starting to get some hair, maybe that will help them stay warm enough.

11. Tiffann4k

Thats okay, it was a bit confusing..lol

I took them out last night and they nursed and they did again this morning .......maybe yours were still full, I dont know, this is my first litter so I really dont know if I am even suppose to take them out twice or not.

How old are your kits ?

When do they normally start to get fur ?

Tiffany