urgent - FLOOD WARNING

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by joan from zone six, Sep 16, 2004.

1. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

please check local forecasts for excessive rain from hurrican ivan thursday/15, friday/16 and saturday/17 in georgia, carolinas, virginia, west virginia, tennessee, kentucky -
    forecasters are revising estimated rainfall UPWARDS -
    please, stay alert - this could be a bad one

2. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

oops - that should have read 16, 17, 18 september

3. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm braced for this.
    Lots of oil lamps ready, water jugs and buckets all filled, generator filled with gas and ready to go, propane stove set up, but - - most importantly, --> chainsaw sharpened, oiled, and fueled...... No self-respecting mountain man is complete without his Husqvarna, and I have a feeling I'm going to be using mine here in the hills of North Carolina.

4. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

After ShockoeBottom in Richmond flooding and swallowing up the downtown area, we are very prepared. We live on a ridge but still, we were seeing a lot of land/mud slides. A lot of roads up here are washed out totally.

Yesterday, we were seeing lot of the creeks rushing like fall creek falls! So, I'm thinking we will lose some more roads and bridges in the area.

Make some buttermilk biscuits, just in case. Can survive on biscuits no matter what! :haha:

5. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

"I like them biscuits with mustard on 'em , mm hm"

Funny you should mention that - I just made some along with some beef stew...

So far all schools cancelled for tomorrow for the kids. They've opened up two churches that are on a ridge here to be used as shelters to get away from the flooding that is expected.

As I'm sitting here, the rain is coming down in bucketloads - but I know that this is just a teaser compared to what's coming later tonight... I'm surprised I still have electric. NC DOT is already out in full armor sawing up some trees that have fallen - and the wind hasn't even picked up yet!

6. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

I hope you ALL stay warm and safe! Now with all the weather and power outages going on now, make sure your drinking water is pure. Here's a link to a couple of ways to purify your water:

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/Ourhomestead/purifywater.htm

ALL of you, if in doubt, DON'T drink it until it's treated. I hope the article helps. Please be careful and good luck.

Ozarkguy

7. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Our station is calling for 9 inches of rain here. I've filled my water jugs and moved the vehicles up the hill (away from the creeks). We have gas for the generator and are as ready as we're going to get, I suppose.

Last weekend, we cut down the big tree that was dropping limbs on the house and threatening to fall whenever the wind kicked up, so that'll be a big relief.

8. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Smoky, people up in Richmond are freakin out! They flooded so bad with the last hurricane. It dumped so much rain in just a little bit of time.

We had 7 inches in just a couple of hours and they had I think the last count was 12 inches up in Richmond.

Now, I had this weird nightmare years ago about FL and as I tend to have dreams that come to pass I kept worrying about one of them because it hadn't come to pass yet. For a long time we lived down there and I kept thinking the dream was about Daytona or somewhere on the east coast.

It did today. I dreamed about twin bridges, hurricanes, tornadoes and having to wake up in the morning to see what happened. Everything was flooded and the bridges were broken.

Somebody posted on another forum the pictures of Escambia Bay in the panhandle of FL, and the two bridges down there being washed away and you want to talk about being shocked!!!

Now, my fear is that I will wake up tomorrow and find all of the trees and everything in the valley knocked down and everything flooded.

To make matters worse, hubbies daughter lives down there east of Milton down around Walmart.

As for biscuits, I might just make some more in the morning. I got extra jam in the pantry and some nice pear butter.

9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Oh my! :eek: So far not too much rain here in the Shen. Valley, but I think I may stop and pick up some more water and baby formula for the grandbaby, just in case. I am a firm believer in dreams foretelling the future and it sounds like you may have the gift!

10. lstarr

lstarr Guest

yeah, you all - be ready. Here in KS we're always ready for a weather change at the drop of a hat. I have a vacuum packager that I use to make 'dry packs' of essentials for situations like the one you may have. If you have a vacuum sealer, you should use it to pack up some dry clothes and such, just in case. Otherwise, Vic Lock some stuff up for goodness sake!

Stay dry and God Speed,
    Lisa

11. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Here in eastern Broome County NY we got just shy of 5" of rain yesterday and last night. It's so cool and damp I've got the woodstove going with the first fire of the season.

Stacy in NY

12. margo

margo Well-Known Member

My neighbor measured 8'' plus in his rain guage yesterday. Luckily for us, we live high on a ridge out of town. The city nearby, Marietta, Ohio, on the Ohio River has been flooded, all of downtown. It is at the confluence of the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers. City closed. I made it to Kroger and out before the blockades stopped all incoming traffic. Had to buy laying mash at a Ma and Pa store. Thank God they are open. We do, by the way, give them some trade, so I don't have a bad conscience there.
    I imagine we'll get rated a disaster area pronto. I see and hear lots of helicopters, I hope all who llive out in the valleys make it without loss of life. Know of some who have lost their homes, so there's a good place to give some of the quilts I've made and just packed away. No doubt there will be benefit drives beginning soon. Those of you around here, if you should hear of such, please post it here. I know there are board members who live in Athens County, has anyone heard from them?
    .....Margo

13. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Stayed at the farm overnight. We got a lot of rain in Carroll County Ohio (not as bad as southern Ohio though). Quite a few roads are underwater. Other than the erosion down our drive we haven't had much of a problem at our place. OUr neighbors drive washed out into the creek.

Mike

14. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Glad you're okay, Mike.

15. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

My computer was down and I was so anxious to get on and find out if everyone was safe. Things can be replaced, people can't. Breezynosak-the sight is not a "comfortable" gift, is it? Everyone take care! Flooding receeded yet?

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, the high winds knocked out power Friday night and it just came back on late last night. No phone either for most of that time. Trees down and other wind damage.

Things I learned:

I dislike generators. Several neighbors had them going and they smell bad and are very loud, even from many acres away.

It is always nice to have a friend with a freezer if you need it.

Having candles/batteries and working flashlights extends comfort levels.

It is a great opportunity to use your walkie talkies with neighbors and to generally share in the discomfort. Builds good relations later. We turned into the house for showers and hot coffee as we have gas equipment and it is never interrupted since it is our own well. In fact, we were really very comfortable. One neighbor with a water bed was at wit's end since it got cold with no electric and it is in the 40's F here at night now. They have an all-electric house. I reminded her of her grill and its uses. She hadn't thought of that!

I'm hoping the utilities stay on so I can contact clients, etc. today.