Urban Sprawl - Not Your Usual Suspects...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 30, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, here is a portion of a "rant" I made on my blog.

I think I would be more comfortable if there were "zones" around the city for densely populated housing for people. Something like the planned community townhouse type thing. I don't know, I haven't completely thought out that portion of the solution. Compared to 50 years ago, someone owning a 5 acre plot is probably contributing to the "sprawl".

What is your take on it? Any thoughts? Any solutions?

2. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Look up "Smart Growth" - which is LAW and most don't know it.
    This entirely explains what is happening.
    Sapphira

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Urban sprawl will become a thing of the past, just keep these gas prices high and people will move back to the city.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

$55000 wouldn't even buy 1/2 an acre here and the requirement is 1 acre. I have seen one acre for over $100,000. I presently have 2 houses smack behind me, maybe 200 yds. from my back line. It was not supposed to come this far, but the woman behind me who lives in a warehouse building that used to be her business, needed the money and access to free residential electric. The builder of these houses paid $80000 for each 1.4 acre lot. The development is pretty nice as they go, but these lot look out on a garage, two trailers owned by the guy who stole the other 20 acres from her and her warehouse. Not exactly where I would want to pay $350,000 for a house. You are right and it will never stop and is out of control.

5. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Some of the problem is that city people have this big idea in there head about the country being so sweet and peaceful. The magazines, t.v., and their yoga teachers have all sold them the image of moving to the country to be at peace and meditate. They don't knowing anything of real farming. The growing and canning of veges. at the hottest time of the year. The part of going to the auction to buy some goats or other animals to raise for food so you know what goes on your families table. The part of getting up at two in the morning to check to see why your animals are making that noise.....gotta make sure it aint a critter coming for free food. If the critter did get free food they can't hardly deal with haveing to clean up the mess or haveing to put the animals down if it's wounded. Yesterday I was walking the out to the back pasture to bring up some more wood for chopping and my dog sammy found something caught in the fence. It was a deer under a year old that had caught her leg as she tried to jump it. It was on the neighbors side so I went back to tell her about it and ask if see could ask the electric guy to help me get the deer out. He grabbed his wire cutters and I grabbed my rifle and we headed down the fence line. The neighbors daughter decided to come with and she could hardly stomach seeing it caught in the fence. We cut the wire and the deer dropped to the ground. She couldn't move her back legs at all and was dragging herself along with just the front legs. Evedently she had broken her back so she wasn't doing so well. I handed the rifle to the electric guy and he got ready to put her down when the neighbors daughters jumped in and started screaming 'oh you can't, maybe if you leave her a little while she'll fix herself!' I told her it dont work that way and if we don't end her quick then some other animal is going to get ahold of her and slowly kill her after shes been dragging herself around for who knows how long. Then city woman comes up with "well I can't watch this its just to cruel!" We were the ones that are cruel?!?! At least we knew what needed to be done to put the little thing to rest. Dang city people.......BACK BACK :yeeha: :yeeha:
    One final note Pigs dont smell as bad as a city bus or a backed up city sewer system! :eek:

6. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

When dh and I bought our first house we moved into a "community" in the country. It wasn't our first choice, but the price was right and it was a nice house. We thought that maybe the restrictions would be good because so many places around here are junked up, and let's face it, if you want a decent house you don't want neighbors who don't care.

Well, first came the newsletter witht he reminder about "junked" cars while we had one untagged in the drive way trying to sell it, then it was a notice about flood lights being on all night "come on folks, we aren't filming a movie here" lol, I left them on when dh was due home late at night. The final straw was a complaint about dh cutting down a tree (wooded lot) so we could put a turning area in the driveway and have some room for the kids to ride their bikes.

Now we have no neighbors to care what the heck we do and we have no restictions on out property. Animals, you bet, trailer park? We could. Cut down every tree we own? It might be stupid, but if I want to.....

Carla