Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a portion of a "rant" I made on my blog.

Fast forward these sixteen some years. Many of the local communities have enacted local zoning laws that require a minimum of two acres to build a house. It is an effort to slow the urban sprawl supposedly. A two acre "lot" now starts at $55,000.00 in the area. So land is expensive for the most part and we have to live with the fact that it isn't getting any cheaper. So we know that when we buy a house that it will be WAY more expensive for the land and house that we want and that is just a part of living in the county where we minister. But let me tell you where my real complaint is.

I have a real problem with these 2 acre requirements to build a house. I mean the philosophy of everyone having space is good. But here is the problem that happens anytime a government gets involved with managing the lives of the people. What started out as good is no longer good. What started out as a buffer for urban sprawl has actually added to the problem. You see these two acre plots have so many deed restrictions when developers put them in that the true philosophy of everyone having their space has been destroyed. So let's say Joe Shmoe from Medina (only 30K in population) decides he is tired of the city life and wants to own some chickens. So he decides that although his job is in the city that he is going to move 10 miles out into the "country". He has read all about the "Have-More" plan and decides that the level of comfort he would have is to get one of those 2 acre plots and build a nice little house and a chicken coop. So as he is preparing to sign on the dotted line he reads a deed restriction that he can't have more than one chicken per member of his family and that it is for the purpose of participating in an agricultural club like 4-H. He most certainly will NEVER have any hogs on his land as there is a complete BAN on those pesky creatures, but he is allowed to have a pet horse. Of course, there is no where around to ride it because he only has two acres sandwiched between his neighbors $220K "farm" that has 3 rabbits and a turtle on it. So he has a choice, sign on the dotted line, have a small house between the "suburban farmers" for 160K or move on out a little further where he CAN have some chickens. Of course he never wants to grow anything or have neighbors that raise those smelly pigs anyways so he is not opposed to those "swine restrictions" on the new land. And this procedure is repeated and repeated until effectively there has been a leap-frogging of people and prices. So he doesn't have to worry about the city anymore but now he has to worry about a new problem, "keeping up with the FARMER Jones's". Eventually he has as many restrictions as the city did, a longer drive, and a whole heck of a lot more grass to mow. He decides to move back into the city because the price on the city houses with the city lots have remained steady where they were.
I think I would be more comfortable if there were "zones" around the city for densely populated housing for people. Something like the planned community townhouse type thing. I don't know, I haven't completely thought out that portion of the solution. Compared to 50 years ago, someone owning a 5 acre plot is probably contributing to the "sprawl".

What is your take on it? Any thoughts? Any solutions?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Look up "Smart Growth" - which is LAW and most don't know it.
This entirely explains what is happening.
Sapphira

·
Registered
700 Posts
Urban sprawl will become a thing of the past, just keep these gas prices high and people will move back to the city.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Oilpatch197 said:
Urban sprawl will become a thing of the past, just keep these gas prices high and people will move back to the city.

$55000 wouldn't even buy 1/2 an acre here and the requirement is 1 acre. I have seen one acre for over $100,000. I presently have 2 houses smack behind me, maybe 200 yds. from my back line. It was not supposed to come this far, but the woman behind me who lives in a warehouse building that used to be her business, needed the money and access to free residential electric. The builder of these houses paid $80000 for each 1.4 acre lot. The development is pretty nice as they go, but these lot look out on a garage, two trailers owned by the guy who stole the other 20 acres from her and her warehouse. Not exactly where I would want to pay $350,000 for a house. You are right and it will never stop and is out of control.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Some of the problem is that city people have this big idea in there head about the country being so sweet and peaceful. The magazines, t.v., and their yoga teachers have all sold them the image of moving to the country to be at peace and meditate. They don't knowing anything of real farming. The growing and canning of veges. at the hottest time of the year. The part of going to the auction to buy some goats or other animals to raise for food so you know what goes on your families table. The part of getting up at two in the morning to check to see why your animals are making that noise.....gotta make sure it aint a critter coming for free food. If the critter did get free food they can't hardly deal with haveing to clean up the mess or haveing to put the animals down if it's wounded. Yesterday I was walking the out to the back pasture to bring up some more wood for chopping and my dog sammy found something caught in the fence. It was a deer under a year old that had caught her leg as she tried to jump it. It was on the neighbors side so I went back to tell her about it and ask if see could ask the electric guy to help me get the deer out. He grabbed his wire cutters and I grabbed my rifle and we headed down the fence line. The neighbors daughter decided to come with and she could hardly stomach seeing it caught in the fence. We cut the wire and the deer dropped to the ground. She couldn't move her back legs at all and was dragging herself along with just the front legs. Evedently she had broken her back so she wasn't doing so well. I handed the rifle to the electric guy and he got ready to put her down when the neighbors daughters jumped in and started screaming 'oh you can't, maybe if you leave her a little while she'll fix herself!' I told her it dont work that way and if we don't end her quick then some other animal is going to get ahold of her and slowly kill her after shes been dragging herself around for who knows how long. Then city woman comes up with "well I can't watch this its just to cruel!" We were the ones that are cruel?!?! At least we knew what needed to be done to put the little thing to rest. Dang city people.......BACK BACK :yeeha: :yeeha:
One final note Pigs dont smell as bad as a city bus or a backed up city sewer system! :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
When dh and I bought our first house we moved into a "community" in the country. It wasn't our first choice, but the price was right and it was a nice house. We thought that maybe the restrictions would be good because so many places around here are junked up, and let's face it, if you want a decent house you don't want neighbors who don't care.

Well, first came the newsletter witht he reminder about "junked" cars while we had one untagged in the drive way trying to sell it, then it was a notice about flood lights being on all night "come on folks, we aren't filming a movie here" lol, I left them on when dh was due home late at night. The final straw was a complaint about dh cutting down a tree (wooded lot) so we could put a turning area in the driveway and have some room for the kids to ride their bikes.

Now we have no neighbors to care what the heck we do and we have no restictions on out property. Animals, you bet, trailer park? We could. Cut down every tree we own? It might be stupid, but if I want to.....

Carla

1 - 6 of 6 Posts