Urban legend or true?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

A usually well-informed intelligent friend told me that the wet Swiffer mops leave a film on the floor that can kill your dog or cat. She thought it was the same stuff as anti-freeze and that it can be absorbed thru the animal's feet and when they lick their feet. Anyone heard this same story? I don't use them but if it is true people that do use them might want to stop. Rita in TN

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

3. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Old myth that has been refuted over and over and over. People need to stop believing everything they read in an e-mail.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Another good site to try when you get these questionable e-mails is www.truthorfiction.com I find it quicker to load with less pop-ups than snopes.

5. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how accurate those sites are. I looked up aspartame on both and it seems to say it is safe. But I know it isn't - I've met way too many people that have personally suffered from it.

It makes me think that these two sites have a bias.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the responses. I will let my friend know that it is not true. I thought she said she actually knew someone whose dog died but will ask again if that was so. Rita

8. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I use snopes all the time. I am on a personal campain to stop these stupid urban legend e-mails. So when I get one, I look it up on snopes and then I send that link to the person who sent me the e-mail and I ask them to pass the snopes link back to the person who sent THEM the e-mail with instrutions to pass it back up the line. If everyone would just look them up on snopes or truthorfiction, we would not have these annoying problems. Ok, maybee we won't ever eliminate them but at least most people have quit sending them to me! LOL :rock:

As far as the asperatame, I wouldn't think that they are biases as much as we should consider the source that they get their information from. They don't have their own labs to test each thing that comes down the line. So they go to the Swiffer and the Nutri Sweet people to ask "Hey is your product safe?". Of course, they are going to be told that their product is safe because that is what the company spokesman is paid to say. Most people consider asperatame safe but there are a lot of folks out there that do not like to use chemicals in their food. There are an even smaller group that do not like to use chemicals anywhere in there house. A lot of folks can wear perfume. I can't. I can't even be near anyone who wears a lot. I miss perfume. But I like breathing even more. But if I where to ask Snopes if perfume is ok, they would probably say yes. Sorry for the hijack. :soap:
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

exactly. that is what they are paid to say. if snopes is making more money from advertising than it costs to run, they may have profit in mind. if they have a mind for profit, who knows who's money they will take.

for those of you who have heard me harp of on my old job, i apologize but here i go. the ready to eat dairy product i made in a factory was monitored with a product sampling and contaminant swab program. every production line had areas that were checked and documented. when the feds came to see the q&a testing documents, the paper trail seemed complete. there was obvious documentation. the problem is that they would test areas that were always clean. if you asked the q&a department to test anywhere else they would have a cow because they knew it would be positive and show in the documentation. never trust in-house documentation that relates to product safety issues.

10. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

It no different than anything else in the world. It may harm a few but for the large part of the population it is not harmful.
    Just cause one person gets sick from peanuts does that mean that we all should stop eating it? Same concept.

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

You could check a couple other ways too. Most every product has an 800 number on the packaging you could call to get information about. Another thing you could do is to call an Animal Rescue League or something similar.