Urban Art? or Country Junk?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Jun 8, 2004.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

I'd need to hire a dumpster if my neighbors saw this at my house, but then I don't know "Art". :D

Of course Elvis on the gararge might be a plus.

http://weirdgardens.com/

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

hehehe, ive actually seen a lot of work done with colored glass bottles, its quite nice ....

but the funny thing is, one of the sale barns i go to , is right outside of springfield mo (300,000) people and city folks shell out lost of money for old farm machinery to sit in thier front yards...
    saw an old spring rake go for 600.00 last month, it was missing tines, and the tongue was broken , but boy was miss yves saint laurent pleased as punch to be frateranizing with the "country folk"...but she refused to go out by the horses... was rather comical in a sad sort of way

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

How Cool!!! My favorite is 'Be Fruitful' She lives in Baltimore, I'm going to have to look her up.

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

You know I'm sure that owner is happy with her collection, but its just a bit much for me. But theis is comming from a person who hasnt decorated with anything that hasnt been child sized and hard plastic in almost 5 years.:haha:
    One day, I'll get my living room back. :)

5. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I really LIKED it! Whimsy in a hand-to-mouth world with cast-offs and FABULOUS mosaics (I bet she collected for YEARS) is really neat. I always reckoned that if it wasn't mine and I didn't have to dust it or mow around it, it's not mine to complain about. It's hers and she's prolly gonna be famous-er than us someday. AND she's happy with it.

As a "homesteader", I get enough crap from friends and co-workers for milking my own goat and eating my own chickens... I won't ever dink anyone for their vision...

Thanks for the site! It was really neat. Mebbe I'll branch out into mosaic work now... Rockomme Gardens near Arthur, Illinois has some of this same kinda stuff. Thanks again. Love the legs in the back garden. VERY festive...

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

That really was a feast for the eyes!
    I bet I've got stuff I could contribute to her. :p I decorate with antiques and old pictures, so, I can't put someone down who uses old stuff to decorate. I thought she used a lot of vision.

On the Campus where I work, our President's wife purchased a huge horse sculpture for the front of our Art Museum. It was really beautiful, except for one detail - the eyes glowed red! Everyone made jokes about the "demon horse", which has now been moved inside the gallery. :haha: To each his own!

7. mstook

mstook Member

i really only glanced at hoping to get back at it but that"s what i call rycycling I think it takes alot of imagination and courage to something like that and to have to live with it every day. she must really love her collections she would have to to live with it
    i have to applaude her techinique. the earth could use a little more people like her !!!

mstooke

8. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Funny, I have a few (3) bowling balls covered in glass marbles, looks like those popular gazing balls everyone is selling now. Anywho, when I started the first one the neighbor across the road came over and gave me one of those puckered mouths. :D After the 3rd one was done and out in the yard, she came over and asked why so many. I really hate to say what I was thinking at the time, oh heck I'll tell you, I figured if one upset her I'd really get a rise with three. This was last summer and as of today as I gaze down the road there are a few of those puckered lipped bowling balls in a few yards.

My next project will be an old "Radio Flyer" filled with flowers on the front lawn, hope she's ready. :D

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I don't put people down for being creative either. Its a wonderfull talent to be able to re-use things like that. To each his own, though. One of the locals here in town have an old twin bed frame in the yard, filled with flowers. I have also seen half broken pots with flowers planted underneath going down the side of a hilly yard...looking like the pot broke and the flowers spilled over. Reminds me of the tale of the two pots-the one that had the whole in it watered the ground and made a beutiful flowery pathway where the other may have carried more water but didnt produce anything pleasing to the eye to look at.

10. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I've see those bed frame "flowerbeds" - cute!
    I like the idea with the pots - that's creative. I decided to use an old wheelbarrow to put dirt in and plant flowers down it, to make it look like it's dumping flowers into the bed. Also, taking an old galvinized tub and putting alysseum (?) in it to look like bubbles spilling out. Lot's of ways to use "junk"!

11. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

That's nothing compared to the people we visited in Uncertain, Texas a couple of years ago. These people are friends and neighbors of a couple we know who have a lake house on Caddo lake. Their house was the most unusual but fascinating house I've ever seen and they are truly "free spirits". She is a real character and quite an artist and creator of unusual objects. They own some guest cottages there. Not much about their home here, but here's a link to their site:

http://www.spatterdock.com

12. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I KNOW that puckered lip look. I'm WAY over it...