Upon feeding animals...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 13, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Do you get up extremely early and feed your animals and tend to them?

Do you milk?

Do you feed your animals based on your "off the farm" work schedule? If you don't work off the farm, when do you feed?

2. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I feed between 8 and 9 am then again at 5 pm. Around here, the goats set the schedule! They start crying when the sun comes up and get louder and louder until fed! I do no milking since they are under a year old and have not been bred yet. I do work outside the farm but the animals are the alarm clock!

Sherry in GA

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I feed in the evening. Summer around 6:00 p.m. As the days get shorter I slowly move it up & now feed around 4:00 p.m. I do not feed in the morning. When milking goats twice a day I go out & milk around 6:30 when I get the kids up for school. Now I am milking once a day, so nothing is done in the morning.

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

The kids and I get up at 4:30, and are out doing chores by 5:00am. Not that we need too, but we are all early birds.

We then feed at 4:00pm in the winter, and around 5:00pm in the summer.

No milking done around here either.

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I milk once a day, and have pigs, chickens, ducks, goats and a horse (plus house pets). I feed everyone in the morning, and feed the ducks and horse at night. I work "off the farm," and have adjusted my schedule so that I can see my animals in the daylight every day through the winter. I leave here between 9:30 and 10:00 and get home around 8:00.

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

There is just my husband and myself here on the farm. IWe try to do most morning chores around dawn. I work outside the farm 3 days per week.

Our goat herd is at 19 total and it's breeding season, so love is in the air! The bucks begin carrying just before dawn because the girls haven't come outside to see them yet. I milk between 6-7am and pm.

We just sent our 5 pigs to market, but my husband was the main caretaker of them. He'd mix-up feed the evening before (fermented goat milk with whole grains) and about 5 am before he went to work, he'd feed & water them. Evenings they got more attention. :1pig:

Chicken, duck, geese and turkey chores are split between us. Since we leave home so early in the am, we do as many things as we can the evening before.

Everything will get harder when the snow flies.

7. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

beef cows start moving around dawn. as others have said they are basically on a schedule. to them, hearing the tractor crank up is like us men hearing the pans raddle in the kitchen. They know something is up.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I get up when the rooster crows....

Go down to the lady goat barn and throw some hay bring a flake for the bucks (confined in livestock trailer until Nov.1) fill up the chicken feeder,(10 min) come in and have coffee and breakfast....

Milk at noon....3 girls...20min

about 5pm hubby gets home and has the children fill water jugs for animals, hay for ladies and bucks 15min....hopefully will have eggs to collect soon...

We work by the light of day....no power in goat barn, solar light for hens

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Up at 5:45, feed cats and dog, have some breakfast then out to the barn to feed. Geese first (noisy!) then the goats, milk Polly, up to the house to take care of the milk, then back down to let the ducks out, feed them and the chickens, top up any hayracks and water pails as necessary. Off to work for 9 am.

Home shortly after 5, let the chickens out, feed cats and dog, then back down to feed and milk about 6, back down after supper (anywhere from 7:30 to ??) to close up the chicken coop, chase the ducks into their house (sigh) and check on the goats again - and spend some time talking to them and scritching their ears :p . Who needs television!?!

10. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Usually up at 4:15am, milking the goats by 4:30. Sweep out the goat barn and feed and water the goats. Then release and feed the turkeys, followed by moving the chicken tractors and adding food and water for them. Lastly, water and food for the layers. When we have the goats, turkeys and all the meat chickens going during the summer, it takes me about 90 minutes to do all the morning chores. Dip in the pool (during summer), shower, breakfast and out the door by 6:35. Wife does mid-day feeding and watering of the broilers in the summer and milks the goats in the evenings around 6pm - we usually share the rest of the evening chores unless she has started early and finishes before I get home. All in all, she does much more of the chores, but I get bonus points for letting her sleep in the morning. I hope.

Weekends I'll sleep in til 7 or so. No one seems to mind.

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

My work schedule is so weird now that it's thrown everything into confusion!

I have given up trying to milk the cows because I'm away so much, and gone altogether for 6 days a month.

Usually I chore (feed, water, etc.) in the early evening. I like to do it before dark so I can get a good look at everybody and keep an eye out for problems.

12. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I get up and walk the dog in the woods around 6AM. He tells me when it is time to get up. Its too early for the other 2 dogs and since I have had them since they were pups I can just let them out the door when they are ready to potty. I usually walk for about 30 min. to an hour depending on the weather. Then I feed the dogs and cats then head to the barn. The pig gets fed first he is the noisiest in our barn. then the goats and then the chickens. They are my quietest.

They get fed around 7 am and again around 7pm. The I head up to the barn again around 9 or ten to get the goats and the pig out for the day. Back to the barn again between 1 and 2 to collect eggs. If all have layed by then they get to go out this time of year. When it is hot they stay in until 5 or six so they stay out of the woods. That is where I lost a couple to the coyotes. I usually then spend some time with the goats and the pigs and see that they are doing fine and keep a close relation ship with them. When any of them get out they run to me rather than take off.

13. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I work evening shift at the hospital so I get up at 9 AM. I let the 4 dogs out (fenced yard), make my coffee, and see if the cats/dogs need food in their dishes. I keep food out for them 24/7. I feed the 2 sheep, 4 goats, 2 horses, chickens and duck every morning before 10, year round, just to keep them friendly. I'm not milking anybody. When the pasture is done for the year, they get hay in the morning with their feed, and hay racks filled again at 2:15 before I get ready to leave for work. I gather eggs twice before I go to work. Bunny gets checked daily. I'm off every other weekend, so hoof care gets done then. The worst part about feeding is in the winter because I have to carry water.

14. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

The chores are handled by the boys between 6 and 7 in the morning and me at around 5 in the evening. We feed the horse, chickens and rabbits. Get the eggs, and count the goats. Right now we have to water the animals too since the creek is dry from the drought. We carry around 9 gallons of water twice a day.

There is no electricity at the barn and we live about two miles from the farm.

15. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Right now, while we are living witha friend in the suburbs, I go feed and water the goats (in her backyard) before leaving for work in the morning, at about 8:00 am. But when we were on our homestead, it was up at 6:00 AM, started the coffee, let the horses out into the pasture, put out hay and feed for them, let out Jack, out buck goat and brought Libby in the laundry room for milking. Handed the milk off to DD to filter and chill while other DD cooked breakfast. Let DH (now ex) sleep since he did the afternoon and evening feeding (except milking). Let Libby out in the pasture, let out the chickens and the ducks, once seeing the horses in the pasture, would come up from the lake to get fed with the chickens. I cleaned the horse stalls, weeded the garden (except for green beans, because dew was still on the leaves), and get cleaned up for work. Meanwhile, DD that handled the milk, hangs the laundry out that was done the night before. And DD that cooked breakfast would put the prepped supper in the crockpot. We'd sit down to breakfast as a family, DH was up now and everyone would help clean the kitchen, then it was off to work. In the evening, I'd come in and milk, hand the milk off to DD and put the goats up. DH already had horses up and fed and hay and grain was in the goats stall waiting for them. He would also have the chickens up and have the ducks pool filled. We had a small lake, but the ducks had a pool up at the house so I could sit and watch them play in the water. I usually sat in the goats stall and talked to them while they ate, then brushed each horse and talked to them, then set my chair up to watch duck and chicken tv and watch the garden grow. I'd pick veggies before going inside. We'd have supper, then I'd clean the kitchen and prep for tomorrow's supper. I'd also do a load or two of laundry. We'd play a game of Scrabble, the kids would go to bed, I'd quilt, or read, or write, or talk to DH, then off to bed by 9:00-9:30PM. Boy to I miss my life. Only about 2 more weeks before we're on our homestead. :dance:

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We started with chickens but they had to wait till evenings when we got home for their attention. I got 2 feeders and a large waterer but it didn't take long until I had to get a heated dog bowl for the winter months. Many people around here thought it was strange our chickens weren't cared for early in the day. Well, we aren't morning people and it was all we could do just getting ready to get to work on time, LOL.

The chickens never suffered. I had a couple eggs freeze every now and then but for the most part, everything was fine.

Now we have steers & pigs with a couple of our neighbors... we're sharing the duties (keeping them together till butchering time). As usual, when it's our turn, they get fed in the evenings.

17. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I'm envying your schedules--it'll be a couple years before I can have any animals except dogs again.

Those of you with full-time jobs out of the house during the day, and animals, and probably many other responsibilities--what time do you usually go to sleep at night? Do you always feel tired or like you're falling behind on the things you need to do? This is my big worry, because the animals always have to come first, and then other chores, and the one thing I always cut short is sleep. How do you manage it?

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

My pig figured out which window is my bedroom window. He saw me opening it one after noon and has associated that window with me. So now, if I'm not up early enough to feed him, he stands under the window and screams bloody murder till he gets his food. If he doesn't get fed by 7:30, he almost sounds like he's cursing in pig language. Anyone with pigs knows they try to talk. Trust me, I know what he's saying too! I feed all of mine their main meal in the morning before work and then in the evening they get a snack. The pigs get their veggies or fruits in the evening, the cats might get a little piece of fish or meat. The dogs get a little bit of meat or maybe a little snack of dog food.

19. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

We're pretty casual around here. We don't get up and out very early- neither of us works off the farm (much). The two goats (wethers) get fed twice a day, but they also have hay available all the time, so if their feeding times change it's no big deal. Having said that, though, I am trying to get them fed earlier in the morning these days so that their evening feeding time will still be done while their is daylight.

The chickens have food available all the time so it doesn't matter when we feed them. The rabbits get fed once, in the afternoon.

The dogs are the only really demanding critters around here- they get fed early in the a.m. and again at 6pm. Boy, they start getting anxious around 4:30 and don't stop till they have been fed! Cats get a full bowl once a day.

20. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

our usual schedule is: Hubby wakes dd at 6:30 -she feeds and milks goats.(in freezing weather, she takes out a bucket of hot water for the goats and brakes the outside dogs waters. By 8 we are all up, going and we feed the inside dogs. hubby is off by 9 (if he has work)... homeschool during the morning... feed outside dogs around 1:00 (ds does this) We also check on the chicken and rabbit water if it is really hot or really cold but during spring and fall, we skip this in the afternoon. Usually around 4-5 ds and hubby feed rabbits, chickens, turkey, phesants, quail and check all water. (if hubby has long day, then ds does this and he checks on it around 8 pm when he shuts up the chickens) DD milks at 6 pm and feed the goats and waters them and the outside dogs. During freezing weather, we replace the rabbit water bottles with unfrozen ones and break everyones water if needed.

We are drying up our doe so that will be changing our schedule here real soon...the only real change will be the 6:30 milking will not have to be done...but the goats will start hollering and will need to have their feed.

Belinda