Updating my med box

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tduerson, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

This is what i keep on hand.

Procaine Penicillin - Combi-Pen-48

Vit B Complex

Durvet - Duramycin 72-200

Probios

Durvet - Vitamins & Electrolytes

Goat Nutri-Drench

Iodine

Scarlex - Scarlet Oil Spray Wound Dressing

Children's Motrine

Safegaurd Wormer

Durvet - Rumatel Goat & Cattle Wormer

Ivomec

Cydectin &/or Dectomax

Pepto Bismol

If you are like me and do not have enough animals to pay for the high price of Cydectin and Dectomax there are some Vet's that will let you buy it in same quanities from them. I only have 4 goats and it does not make sence to me to pay almost $100 for these wormer's when I rarly use them when I can stop by my vet and buy 2cc for $4.

I think this is all I keep as far as meds go. I hope I did not leave anything out. As I run into new problems and or conditions I add new meds to my box. If you need it once you might just need it again and most of this stuff is fairly inexpensive to keep on hands.

Oh, I did leave one thing out "Eppie" I never leave the house without it. It pays to be prepared.

Hopes this helps.

Tina

2. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Have you used that Duramycin 72-200 on your goats? I have some and want to treat probably pnuemonia in one of my goats and that is all the feed store had. I can't find anything on it. It is oxytetracycline, but it says oxytetracycline base as oxytetracycline ampphoteric. How did that stuff work for you?

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Croenan,

We have found Corid to be great for Coccidiosis in cattle, but not very effective in goats unless the dosage is so high that it creates other problems. For Coccidiosis, we use the Sulfadimethoxine at 12.5% as a drench. If you don't want to purchase such a large quantitiy of Albon, you can get Di-Methox in a smaller quantity at 12.5% or get the 40% and cut it with water to 12.5%. I would be surprised if Jeffers didn't have Di-Methox, but if not, Hoeggers Supply does carry it. As a treatment we give 6ml of the 12.5% Sulfadimethoxine once a day for five days as a drench.

I'll list three sites that have diseases, medicines and their use and dosages. There are probably a lot more sites out there, but these should be some very good ready references for you.

goatwisdom.com
    jackmauldin.com
    fiascofarm.com

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

4. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

what is the neomycin sulfate used for i know its an anti bacterial someone told me i needed to have it with goats but i am also new at this and i have it but i havent a clue what its for.

5. Croenan

Neomycin Sulfate is mainly used for e. coli. My vet gave it to me before I realised he didn't know that much about goats. My goat had coccidosis and probably a secondary infection - he had bad diarrhea. It supposedly isn't good for respatory infections, which is why I need something else. :(

6. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i have a baby with coccidia can it be used for this

7. Croenan

I am not 100% but after all I have learned, I want to say no. Get some Albon 12.5% Sulfadimethoxine. I gave mine, at my vets suggestion, corid. The Neomycin was probably for a secondary infrection since he was an adult goat. Adult goats usually don't get coccidosis.

This is what I was told by someone I trust.....Corid is pretty useless, I prefer to use a sulfa drug such as Sulmet, DiMethox or Albon 12.5 % drinking water solution. You can find at least one of these at almost any feed store. Give 1 cc per 5 pounds the first day then 1 cc per 10 pounds for 4 more days. But he
    likely doesn't really have a cocci problem, most adult goats have a good
    partial immunity to them. Corid does cause a thiamin deficiency, tha tis
    how it works. The coccidia should be affected before the goat but that is
    not always the case.

search the forum for coccidosis and you will see treatments. If you give the baby the neomycin, it will probably do more harm than good. antibiotics are very hard on goats tummys....be sure to follow up with some probios and maybe vit b when you treat her!

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

go to goattalk.com look under health care. the yhave several different threads, one thread will tell you all the meds, and doses for goats.

9. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I switched from the 12.5% (Albon or Di-Methox) to the Di-Methox 40% Injectable in the babies milk. I bottlefeed.

With penicillin I use the Penicillin Procaine & Penicillin Benzathine combo. 150,00 penicillin units G procaine & 150,000 units penicillin benzathine per ml. AKA "Long acting Penicillin" The name brand is Twin-Pen. I order if from Jeffer's Livestock.

With this form of penicllin you only have to give a shot once a day versus twice a day for 5-14 days.

The two antibiotics I keep on hand is the Twin-Pen, and a Oxytetracyclin (I use Bio-Mycin200). Which is what your duramycin-72-200 is.

I personally dont keep Tylan 200 or its equivalant, Tylosin 200mg, on hand. I have never needed it. The shots are very painful. Penicillin and Oxytetracyclins have always worked.