Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love to spam you with ES questions since my pups breeders are not to communicative. My eight month old male is huge! He is already about 75lbs, we've been feeding raw/barf and grain free puppy food. Even though ES are not a large breed like LGDs I've switched him to raw and dog food gradually over the past month. What age do you switch larger pups off puppy food?
He is GREAT with our goats. I feel his instinct and natural ability greatly exceeds my training ability. He will help bring in the goat that strays from the herd when moving them. He also is good at cornering the goats so I can catch them for worming, hooves, just plain check-in etc. I'm seven months pregnant and so overwhelmed with everything I've started just leaving him in the goat pen (1/2 acres rotationaly grazed at a time) when my kids and I are doing housework and schoolwork. Will spending pointless time in with goats not herding them decrease his instinct or cause him to hold back in his herding?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to spam you with ES questions since my pups breeders are not to communicative. My eight month old male is huge! He is already about 75lbs, we've been feeding raw/barf and grain free puppy food. Even though ES are not a large breed like LGDs I've switched him to raw and dog food gradually over the past month. What age do you switch larger pups off puppy food?
He is GREAT with our goats. I feel his instinct and natural ability greatly exceeds my training ability. He will help bring in the goat that strays from the herd when moving them. He also is good at cornering the goats so I can catch them for worming, hooves, just plain check-in etc. I'm seven months pregnant and so overwhelmed with everything I've started just leaving him in the goat pen (1/2 acres rotationaly grazed at a time) when my kids and I are doing housework and schoolwork. Will spending pointless time in with goats not herding them decrease his instinct or cause him to hold back in his herding?
Hi DaisyDuke,
We'd be happy to help. We suggest taking them off puppy food at about 4 months. What are your dogs lines/registered name? There are some lines where the dogs do run larger. We know of some that have been as big as yours and bigger. Our lines run between 40-65lbs.
With the ES's desire to please, leaving him with the goats shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like he already knows when you want him to do something. When he knows what you don't want, he should listen to that too.
Unless, he is impulsive?
We've had our sheep graze our yard a lot this summer and they do it in harmony with our three dogs and our chickens free range the yard too.
We can offer some training websites that have been helpful to us as well. (You can find some of them on the resources page on our website.)
Hope this helps :)

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,567 Posts
So glad you posted...reminded me to look into ES more.

We are leaving Houston soon for our Springfield, MO rental house. WIll be prepping our off-grid acreage in Ozark county for full-time living there by the end of winter 2022-23.

The English Shepherds seem like such a great combination of farm duty proficiency and lovable nature. Duke is calling to my wife!

Hope you have some pups ready 16-18 months from now when we are settled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts