Update Re:Help! Goat down!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Dec 1, 2004.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Just wanting to let y'all know what was going on and thanks for all the help. I have been giving her PenG every 6 hours since Monday and Vit.B Complex as well. Took her to my vet Tuesday, he said encephalitis with little hope of survival. Went to goattalk.com talked to some people who have been through this, they suggested some things. Went to vet today to talk about other meds, we have added dexamethasone. Yesterday she could no longer get up on her own but does stay sternal and pushes her self around the kennel. She is still eating(alfalfa pellets, only wouldn't eat hay) and I am syringe feeding fluids. Tuesday her left eye was droopy as well and doc thought she was blind in that eye. Today there was no change. Tonight, she doesn't seem to be seeing well from the other eye now too. But on the plus side, she ate hay! It may sound silly but this excited me. She will sometimes call to her baby when she hears her so I know she is still there even though the doc thought she was"gone upstairs". Anyway, more suggestions if you have them! Thanks again!

Tracy
    Southwestern NY

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted you to know my prayers are with you..

3. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

New Update:
    She is standing again! Wooohooo! After reading about how much thiamine she was supposed to be getting I doubled the dose of Vit.B I was giving her (6cc to 12cc) and also started her on the Dex last night too so not sure which it was but the last two times I was out there(4am and 10am EST) she was up standing and NOT wanting any more shots! Who can blame her! Still has the tilt haven't let her try to drink on her own yet but will try that later. Thank you all soooooo much for all of your help and support. With no one really around to talk to it's hard.

Tracy
    Southwestern NY

4. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

That's great news. i was hoping you would push the thiamine,vitamin b, to her. Keep in mind to go at least 3 or 4 days with it PAST all signs/symptoms. I had one goat bounce back immediately once I got the fortified B in him,but was told to continue the shots for a few more days. The other two goats took much longer. I was giving B shots to Boomer for over a month! He bounced back though. :)

5. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work, Tracy. Yipeee, that she is feeling better to be up and around. Keep us posted to let us know how she is doing. She will be in my prayers as well.