Update & Questions on my Litter

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sinenian, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone.

My Holland Lops are about a month old now. They are all doing great, except one died at about 2 weeks of age. It was the smallest of the 5, and it apeared that it was either trying to hop in or out of the nestbox, and broke it's neck :(

The other 4 are doing great though. I've taken the nestbox out, and they are now eating feed and drinking water aswell as milk from their mother.

I have some questions now that I've hit the 1 month mark: :goodjob:

- Should their mom be off free feed now? She is looking bigger, I supposed it was because she's given birth and milking but maybe it's because she's still on free feed and not supposed to be? If not, should I keep her on it until I wean them? (2 Months). Or a different time?

- How much feed should the four 1 month olds get? They are Holland Lops by the way.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

did you breed her back? prolly should have, if she is not bred back and she is over eating then she is getting fat, breed her as soon as you can if you plan on breeding her ever again,
    how much food do you end up feeding all of them in a day? 4 kits wont be draining her as much as a larger litter would and if she isnt always used to having unlimited food then she is probably scared the food will leave and eating too much, some rabbits are like that

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Full feed is fine til you wean. I would breed her back so that she is due shortly after you wean the babies. You don't have to wait til 8 weeks, hollands can easily be weaned at 4 weeks, or 6 weeks to be on the safe side (especially smaller show hollands). I wouldn't worry about her weight, she should be just fine on full feed when she has babies in her cage. Give the babies full feed if you wean them together in the same cage, otherwise give them the normal amount for an adult rabbit, since they are still growing.

And yes, she will look bigger now that she's had babies. I don't know what it is about lops that does that, but they DO look more matronly afterwards. :) I doubt she's fat if she has a current litter, I never limited my feed on all my does and they never put on too much weight unless they were getting not-bred here and there (bred them and they didnt' take). And yes, I've raised plenty of holland lops, along with many other breeds. :)