update on well, thanks for good advice

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by willow, Jun 13, 2004.

1. willow

willow New Member

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. Now, after all this hard work, guess what... the well seems to be in pretty bad shape. We turned the pump back on and it only ran for maybe a half and hour before the well went dry. Like I said before, the well is about 160 ft, we put the 1 hp pump down to about 135 ft and the static level was 80 ft. It pumped down below the pump level in about a half hour, we then checked the next day and it had come back up to the 80 ft level. Again we pumped it down then checked it, it seemed to come back up maybe 3 or 4 feet an hour. We are still getting a little sand but otherwise the water looks good. We are going to try and find a well person that is familiar with this area and get some more advice on our next step. I hope something can be down to rehabilitate this well because it is about 400 feet uphill from the house and that is a lot of pipe that is already buried.
    Oh, about those records everyone is suppose to keep. I had already checked with the state and they couldn't find any records on this well. I certainly appreciate all the advice everyone contributed.
    I would also be interested in any experiences anyone has had on rehabilitating a well or just what to look out for in having another one drilled.
    Thanks again.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................I'm assuming that this property is a somewhat recent purchase. I'm also wondering if the poor condition of the well was accurately depicted too you prior to you signing a contract to purchase the property. If you can get the well bore cleaned out, you should look into putting a 2500 gallon tank close too the well for it to pump into. Then , find a lifting Pump of adequate hp to actually pump water from the 2500 gallon holding tank UP TO your home . IT is TOO MUCH to Ask the well motor to lift water to the surface and then another 400 feet to your home.
    ..................Why don't you simply contact the PREVIOUS owner and visit with them about the POOR condition of the well. Of course , IF they(previous owner and their relator) either Didn't adequately inform you of the POOR well condition or said nothing and let you assume it was OK, they maybe afraid of a lawsuit. And maybe its time to consider such if there was any verbal MISrepresentation by the relator during their sales pitch. Also, I'm wondering If you had an inspection Done on the well , septic , house , etc. ......fordy... :eek: :)

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

It cost less to drop the pump another 20' than anything else. If you don't want to spend money on the well a holding tank setup will work I had one in Montana I designed myself. How much higher is the top of the well and the house and storage tank. You might use gravity to help out.

mikell

4. willow

willow New Member

Thanks for the input. This property was a repo and sold "as is". It was fairly cheap by today's prices. Now is when the money starts pooring out! We are having a man come out that is familar with all the wells in the area. He thinks he may be able to find a place closer to the house. I think we will see if it can be done at a price we can do now. That way we will still have the other well and hopefully a better one, also. I think it is best to try and do this now, while we can before money gets any tighter.
    According to this well man, no one around here does rehab on wells. Says they use to just drop dynamite down the well and bust it up. Now, with our new "Homeland security" they cannot get dynamite. Boy, do I feel more secure and drier, I might add.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Drop the pump to near the absolute bottom of the well. Recovery on a nearly empty hole is better than on a partially filled one. It will be inefficient but you can install a tee at the discharge of the well and send some water through a gate valve back down the well to avoid the pump removing more water than the well is capable of delivering. You do need to installl a larger holding tank also,

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

What a well man can do is pull the pump and use the truck to pump the well from the top. I HAVE TO DO THAT AT MY CABIN EVERY 5 OR 6 YEARS IT CAN CLEAN THE SCREEN AT THE BOTTOM.(SORRY) Then put the pump in lower. Last time it was 400$ A new well will be ???$$$$ 4-5k.

mikell

How much higher is the well than the house??

7. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

If you can determine how many gallons per minute your well can produce you can install the right size Dole valve to limit the pumps output. This will prevent running the pump dry and burning it out. I had to do this on a well that we converted from a jet pump to a submersible, the well guy thought that the submersible sucked the screen out of the well (it was old).

http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/dole-flow-control-valves.htm