Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the itty bitty little baby I didn't think would make it? With a hock shattered at a day old (if not at birth) and one of trips, with a dead and very mutant littermate in the batch?

Turns three weeks old on Tuesday.

His name is officially "Tripod." That hock is fused and judging by what I could palpate there were multiple breaks in the hock area -- through growth plates, I'm guessing.

He'll never have a normal leg. And his fate is probably to be a BBQ at some future date. But for now, he's a happy, bouncy, playful goat kid who runs as fast as his much larger sibling, just on three legs. He occasionally wipes out, but he bounces right back up and keeps going. He hasn't quite figured out how to jump yet, but he's working on it.

I doubt he'd be able to breed a doe or I'd keep him as a backup for my buck. He's got nice conformation, I love his mama, and I still can't believe he lived. He was so tiny when he was born.

(And hey, if I kept him as a breeding buck, maybe I could confine him easier than his dad. I watched his father -- all fifty pounds of him -- clear a four foot high fence around the doe pen today. The only reason his dad jumped the fence was that I was on the other side of it gardening, and he wanted to come over and say hello and get a scritch. Needless to say, my buck is back in his stall because bucks and gardens do not mix. :D)

-- Leva

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
He sounds like he would make a good pet! Maybe you should band him. I don't want to see a picture of him if he is going to freezer camp...he already just sounds like such a cutie that I would fall in love with :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts