update on tractor trailer purchase

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by leaping leon, May 13, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Several days ago I wrote about wanting to buy a 53' trailer to use for storage, asked about putting a door in the front.

So now I'm writing to let you know how God has blessed us...I found an aluminum refrigerated container, 40 foot, for $2,000...smaller, but the insulation will keep things at a more stable temp...and we're going to tie it down over the top with mobile home straps and use it for a storm shelter also. It's going to be nestled among lots of trees, so that should make it safe enough. (I've read that Florida has more tornadoes than any other state than Texas...but our tornadoes are real dinky compared to those in the midwest...)

It has a small hole, about six'' diameter, and a few partial punctures that only go into the insulation, so we'll have to get some Bondo and (if I can find it) some aluminum to patch it with...and some of that expanding foam (if I can find some, couldn't the last time I looked). We're also going to put a window in the hole where the refrigeration thingy used to be...so the container will have light during the daytime, and ventilation.

I wanted to let folks know about the concept of using a tied-down container for a storm shelter...at least where tornadoes are not big and fierce...also if you could find one of these refrigerated containers, they would make a decent cheap shelter for someone who is in a survival situation...

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Bondo?
    Not really a good idea. Bondo tends to crack after a few years due the differing heat expansion/cold contraction rates between the Bondo and metal.

A 'Fiberglass Repair Kit' would probably be a better idea. It would patch the holes and seal them watertight at the same time.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

You can also use speed tape to seal punctures in aluminum. That's the stuff they use to repair small holes in aircraft, although I heard a story about a guy looking for some 2' wide tape to fix a hole made by a forklift. Any aircraft repair place at an airport should have it.

4. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

Congrat's on your container trailer! I know you'll enjoy it.
    Storage container was the best investment I could have done!
    I've never used this, but it sure sounds great! Thought I'd pass the site for you to check out, see what ya think...
    If anyone has used this...just how good IS it? Kind'a pricey...

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/stickit.html

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

galfriend, thanks for that link! I'm going to get some and try it on a project later this year.

6. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

Quite welcome, Ozarks_1! Me too...just gott'a try it!
    Just checked back to see any more suggestions here myself.