Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew won custody. He got his daughter 2 weeks before school started and his son the 1st week of September. He brought them to my mother's for Thankgiving and Christmas and they look great! They both still have food issues, but he let's them each keep a lunchbox with crackers, fresh fruit, Peanut butter, pudding cups, etc in their rooms. Thier mom had let the boy's hair grow and started dreading it, but dad quickly took the clippers to that and he had a nice, neat haircut. And he's finally talking! He'll be 4 in March and was barely talking. His daughter was doing poorly in school when they first started back. She was really distraught and missing her baby brother. But once he got there, she perked right up.

They each have their own bedroom with complete furnishings. No more sleeping on the floor. They still end up with daddy or with each other most nights though. Daddy has to tell them if he's taking the trash out or going to the garage because they are afraid of being left alone. He stepped out to the garage and a neighbor called him and he was on the side of the house talking to him and the children didn't know where he was. They totally freaked out and were nearly unconsolable when he came back in. The baby had wet his pants and they were both hiding in a closet. Dad plays Candyland and Go Fish, Legos and blocks, reads them bedtime stories, gives lots of hugs and is learning to cook.

For Christmas though he asked for us to cook big batches of soul food for him to take home. My sister and I made him collard greens, corn bread, fried chicken, meatloaf, creamed corn, candied yams, a ham and blackeyed peas. We put it in freezer safe containers in meal sized portions. He was happy as a clam. LOL

When they left on Christmas, he was taking them to their mother's for her weekend. Ms. J said she loved visiting her mommy, but she liked living with daddy better, even though they can't watch tv that much and have to go to bed at 8pm. :benice: I just couldn't stop hugging them all day. I made Ms. J a wishbox for Christmas. Inside I wrote my wish for her. It is that she always know that she is loved, needed and wanted. She read it and told me that wish had already come true. :)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Thank you so much for the update on the children. My kids and I were just talking about y'all a couple of days ago and I got to wondering how things had gone. It is nice to see children where they belong!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Great update on Miss J and little Mr J.

You knew that Dad would step up and be a dad.
Sounds like a win all around. Even the mom gets a win as she can now go out and party all the time!

Angie

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad got Ms. J as Disney cell phone for Christmas. It has his home and cell # prgrammed in. If they ever need him, they can call. If I understand this phone, it only has a few buttons with programmed in #s and those are the only ones that if can call. It's a really neat concept and I think will help the children to feel safe and always connected.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
How wonderful! Thanks for the update... it brought tears to my eyes. Those precious babes have been through some bad, bad times.

Thank God your son was able to get custody. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tears here too, Sandra. I've mentioned before, when I was first lurking on these boards, the children had JUST come to live with you, and I remember how beautiful they were in the pictures. What a wonderful daddy they have(and yeah...limited tv, regular bedtimes, sleeping in a bed instead of the floor, food to eat...what a concept). You were such a blessing to them, and it was a blessing to read about it.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Happy endings are wonderful!

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Brought tears to my eyes. Such wonderful news!

I honestly don't understand why people do this to children. I do understand that not everyone is cut out to be a parent, that sometimes people do lousy jobs of being parents. But what I don't understand is why someone who obviously doesn't intend to do the job well can't allow someone who IS going to take it seriously to take over the job instead. If nobody else wanted them, that would be one thing...but if someone did? Lord, if I thought someone would be a better mom than I am, I'd either try harder or let the kids go. :(

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Sancraft- God bless you, your daughters, sisters, and brother for standing up for those children. I was literally sick to my stomach when you lost them- over my own childhood issues suddenly surfacing. I am SO GLAD they have a happilyever after now.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
That is wonderful, it is so nice to read a happy ending! Thank you so much for the update.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Oh PTL... that is such wonderful news.

I'm so happy for those kids.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I have been wondering how the children were doing. I was sad that you couldn't keep them, but happy to know they are being well taken care of. Bless you all.

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
That is the kind of ending I love to hear. Wish the same could have been said over some of my babies and their daddies (my adopted children), but it wasn't to be. So glad to know that there are still a few good young men out there will to do right by their children!!

(Before I get myself in trouble, I know all the guys here are good ;)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Sancraft, so good to hear the children are doing well and that they are finally with the parent that will give them good care!! That is wonderful and heartwarming news!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Congrats! One question though. Why cut the dreads off? Personally I like dreads but just can't for the life of me grow them...balding those days and I'm white :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts