Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let the ones that help us know how the turtles are doing.

They are eating really good. They eat can kitty food, carrots, and strawberries. We do have dry turtle food but they will not touch it at all. They love the cat food for sure. We give them a bath 1 time a day everyday in warm water. Clean fresh water everyday. They love it too.

Oh since we have had them and taking care of them. They are now started to get their little hinge that a box turtle gets so can close up.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Do you have a uva/uvb basking bulb for them? They cant process their food properly without it. Did you figure out for sure what type of tortoise/turtle they are?

I have a Russian tortoise and she is so much fun to watch! She was also a rescue I've had for 3 months.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'd limit the canned cat food, it's not good for cats let alone a turtle. it's also very high in fat and can within time lead to pyramiding and liver damage.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a uva/uvb basking bulb for them? They cant process their food properly without it. Did you figure out for sure what type of tortoise/turtle they are?

I have a Russian tortoise and she is so much fun to watch! She was also a rescue I've had for 3 months.
Well first want to say they do have a uva light to enjoy. They also love to try and hid under their water pan. Next I still have been feeding them some mosit canned kitty food mixed with vegs and fruits now. They are so sweet. We love them very much. I would hate to know what would had happened to them if we didn't take them in. I know their eyes have a little white around them but we wasn't going to give them a bath today until later tonight. They love baths at night not early evening. To me I think they are looking a lot better and gaining weight.

The other night my child was helping me feed them and one decide to pee on her. It was funny as everything that happening . My child got mad at me for laughing but it was very funny.

Here is 2 photos of them one is back a couple of weeks ago when first got them and the next photo is the one we took today. I think they are starting to look a lot better.

This 1st photo was taken Nov 25. When we first gotten them.

The 2nd photo was taken today.

:sing:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Glad you're enjoying them so much! It will take time to undo some of their past neglect but it sounds like you're working to turn that around! There's a ton of information available out there that will help you continue to improve their health and lives. I'm betting that eventually you'll end up building a turtle Taj Mahal - these guys are addictive that way!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you're enjoying them so much! It will take time to undo some of their past neglect but it sounds like you're working to turn that around! There's a ton of information available out there that will help you continue to improve their health and lives. I'm betting that eventually you'll end up building a turtle Taj Mahal - these guys are addictive that way!
May I ask what is a Taj Mahal ?

I'm working right now on slowly getting these little guys off the moist cat food. I believe the reason they loved it is because of where they had stopped eating food for the person I got them from. They purchased some dry turtle food and they wouldn't touch it but when I started out with some strawberries and the moist canned cat food they would eat it but now I'm slowly working my way up to more of the foods that they are suppose to eat. Lastnight they eat a little bit of the moist canned cat food but more strawberries and carrots. So maybe that is a plus..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts