Update on Sick Pygmy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Jan 9, 2007.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that my sick pygmy (snotty nose & hacking up cud) appears to be on the road to recovery. We wormed her with the ivomec & then after learning that it does not always work we had a fecal done on her. Fecal came back clear. I also gave her some probios & yogurt and some vitamin c tablets. I started this on Saturday & today is the second day with no nasel discharge and I noticed a change with her cud on sunday morning.
    Amy

2. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

"We wormed her with the ivomec & then after learning that it does not always work we had a fecal done on her."

I was wondering, what you meant by learning that it does not alway work???
    Are you talking about worming?? Or something else, sorry was just trying to see what you meant by that. How much did you give???
    Ivomec is one of the best wormers. I like Ivomec plus if I can't get it then i get regular Ivomectin.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

4. hoovershounds

Yep Sweet goats, that's what I meant. Someone had said that in certain areas, goats (or the worms?) were building up an immunity to it (Ivomec) so I had a fecal done just to make sure it worked. And truthfully, I still don't know if the wormer worked or if the goat just didn't have worms to begin with. I should have had the fecal done first to find out. She was not really showing any symtoms of a worm overload (no diareha or anemia) so I think that the vitamin c & probios is really what helped her but the wormer could not have hurt either. She had pink eye when she was gave to us & I have a feeling that who ever let her get that way (& was not treating her) did not take the time to worm either. Oh, by the way, we wormed her with 1cc of the Ivomec. 1cc per 100 lbs right?
    Amy

5. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

1 cc per 100lb is not strong enough, so she probably didn't have a heavy worm load to begin with. I was giving 1 ml per 50lb, but my vet said its ok to go a bit stronger (better to over do it slightly than have worms build resistance). However, I now rotate with cydectin because ivomec wasn't doing the job over here.

Per fiasco farm website:
    Brand Names:

Ivomec Injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Merck)
    Double Impact Injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Agrilabs)
    Drug Name:

ivermectin

Family: Avermectin
    Treatment & Control of: Lungworms, gastrointestinal roundworms, larvae, lice, mange mites & cattle grubs. External parasites.
    Goat dose: Oral
    1 ml per 50 pounds- given orally.
    Some people are now using 1cc per 34 lbs with good success. This is 3X the label dose.

6. hoovershounds

Her heart girth weight was 60 lbs so she did get almost double. Like you, I figured that more would be better than to little. I will make a note of 2cc's for future reference.
    Thanks
    Amy