Update on Screaming Kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatedintoit, Aug 4, 2006.

1. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

I had posted that I had a new addition to my herd, an almost 3 month old doeling that had been bottle raised. I planned to continue bottle feeding until 4 months, but she would not take the lambar i had and was SCREAMING her head off about missing her twin sister and pen mate, and being hungry. :Bawling:

Well, all that said: I was able to borrow a lambar from the lady I got her from and she was SOOOOO happy. :)

She's still kind of an outsider when it comes to being with my herd, but she's much more content now that she gets her bottle twice a day. (BTW, she drinks a half gallon a day.) :rolleyes:

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that she is doind better. And you will be surprised how she will grow to fit in with your other girls. It always seems like it takes a while for the bottle babies to fit in, but it all works out eventually! Good luck!

3. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

I would not bottle feed a goat for 4 months. That's not good. Needs to be wean in 1month not no 3 to 4 months. Why wont to keep doing that that
    long?

Wean her now because it be better in the long run not bottle feed no more. Your goat eatting hay, grass, grain and other stuff stop bottle feeding. Just my opioion on that.

4. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

I guess opinions differ. We feel that many people wean much too early. Weaning at four weeks of age we feel would be depriving the kids. Ours, while bottle fed for up to 16 weeks, have never shown any ill effects. We in fact, in a way let them self wean. When they are offered grain and milk at the same time, and show more interest in the grain than the milk, it is time.

And while they still get milk, (two quarts a day) they are also given a grain ration, and eat plenty of hay.

Some people wean at 8 weeks because "that's what the book says". Some do it sooner, some do it later. some it's a matter of convenience(work schedules, etc.) some it is a matter of laziness. Too much trouble to prepare bottles, etc.

We also use bottles, and would not consider a lambar. Bottle feeding allows you to form a better bond with the kids, making it easier to handle them later on in life.

5. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

Thanx for the encouragement.

My dam has 2 kids 4 months still nursing. She's also giving me enough each day for the new baby, so I'm happy.

I am new to goats, in my second year, but I have some excellent mentors and I'm following their advice on when to wean.

NYSannen I like the idea of letting her choose between grain or milk to determine if she's ready. I'm gonna try that.