Update On My Turquoise Easter Chick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fla Gal, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

For the person that asked, sorry I can't remember whom, turquoise isn't a breed, it's a chick that has had dye injected into the developing embryo. And to the person that thought it was illegal, apparently it isn't, the hatcheries are still doing it. To the person that thought I'd raise one lone chick and put it into a run, with full grown chickens so it could be pecked to death, there's no way I could do that.

Sorry CF, I didn't use it for fishing bait. I wanted to let it grow a little then offer it's feathers to someone for tying lures and changed my mind on that. I went to the feed store the next day and bought a little buff orphington to keep it company. I needed two more chickens like I needed another hole in the head but it just might work out. The buff orphington pullet will fit into the present crowd pretty well. I already have 3 buff orphington pullets and 1 cockerel. I really like that breed of chicken.

So far the head count on the chickens is 30 and I don't know what I'm going to do when the young batch of 11 (4 Australorps, 4 Buff Orphingtons, 3 Ameraucanans and these 2 get grown. I'm still trying to plan on how to get some turkeys on the place. :help:

Anyway, the little guy/gal, although not really wanted showed up on my doorstep, it will have a place here until I find out if it's a rooster or and hen, or a banty or full sized. If it's a banty rooster, guess what Jan Doling?... You're it for the new chicken mamma! :D That's right... if I find out where you live I'm going to bring it to you. Kind of a make up present for not being able to get Charlie the brave banty rooster to you. :p

Just in case it's a banty rooster and Jan isn't interested, maybe someone else in east central Florida would like to have him. All I know is according to Ideal's website, their Easter chicks are light colored roosters. The little one is getting white feathers with some black on it's wings, not black barring but white feathers with black on the lower 2/3rd of the feathers. My computer took a dive so I can't post pictures at this time. Hopefully later.

2. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

We've got six similar to that one that were from a hatchery that couldn't keep them (overruns, 3 days old, and they don't have the facilities to feed them since I guess they only sell day-old chicks). I got an assortment of six, mainly different colors, but they were colored by spray-on food dye, and are quickly growing out of their bright fuzz. I presented them to DH in a box as his "Easter" present and told him there was something about them that just wasn't quite right - you should have seen the look on his face when he opened the box! :D He didn't know quite what to make of them. They're just white Leghorns, not my favorite breed, but figure they'll do well enough when they get bigger (and less colorful!)

3. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

We got a couple of "easter chicks" with the bunch that we recieved too. colored bright green. My daughter looked surprised when she first saw them, then said "I bet that's how they get green eggs for green eggs and ham."

Just a question. I was taught by an old, old timer how to tell if a chick is a hen or rooster. (Hold them by their legs upside down...if they just hang, hen...if they fight, rooster..) was just wondering how others decipher the difference when they are chicks.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The boy/girl thing among chickens is easy at an early stage, spread the wings; hens have a uniform row of feathers, roos have a longer center section of feathers. These are the feathers that start the attachment to the main body of the bird.

5. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Meanhwile, back at the ranch, since I don't have gold or sliverlaced Wyandotts anymore, are we hatching yet????

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Fla Gal:

We'll take him....we'll even come get him so you don't have to drive. My DD says she'll take it no matter what the gender....as it takes two bantam hen eggs to make a sandwich! Maybe next weekend....pm me with details, please.
    Thanks! :cow:

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

The color does grow out eventually, right?

8. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw the title and it brought back memories from the auction barn last year! Someone had brought six dyed chicks, and a woman was just bursting at the seams to get her husband/partner to bid on them, thinking they were some rare breed. I couldn't help myself, had to butt in and tell her they weren't anything rare, just dyed. She gave me a look that would have wilted lettuce, so I backed off and let her pay $15.00 EACH for them. Hah. Bet she thought differently after a month or so! Those dyed chicks were really common when I was growing up, a hundred years ago, but don't see them much now.
    Jan in Co

9. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Oh yes. Only their "fuzz" is dyed. Feathers grow out normal color. Don't know how long ago they started doing that, but my opinion is that they do it in hopes to sell more. City folk buy the dyed chicks for their kids at easter (usually not thinking about what they'll do with them after they grow up).

10. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I thought it would be cool to have a blue Leghorn :cool:

11. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Just got a bunch from the feedstore for next to nothing since they were Easter chicks and hadn't sold yet. Mine are bright, neon yellow. :cool: Usually they're roos meant for slaughter. It doesn't bother me that they color the chicks, but I wish they wouldn't color the roos since so many buy them as pets and then get a big surprise later. Then by the time they should be slaughtered, the "pet" owners are sobbing out..."I can't kill him!" Well, what did you think you were going to do with him???? Anyway...it just annoys me. Last year they were all cornishx's and that REALLY got me going. I mean, it's cruel to make those birds live past a certain age.

12. Fla Gal

Jan,

I PM'd you.

13. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

This may sound like a dumb question but: if your coloured chick would be pecked to death by adult chickens because they find the colour as being a 'deformity' or whatever, does this not mean that this chick will also be eventually pecked to death by the chicks you would be putting it with? I've seen chicks attack a lone one for being 'different'.

Also, I have never heard of an egg being injected with dye. How do they do this? Wouldn't it destroy the eggshell? I have heard, however, of chicks being dipped or sprayed with colour. I guess you will know for sure when his adult feathers come it. :)

DD

14. Fla Gal

DD,

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. We all learn by asking. :)

The young chick would be pecked to death by the older chickens if it weren't introduced correctly to the main population. They establish a pecking order and the younger ones are the ones pecked. I believe it's size, not color that determines the pecking order and that's discounting any pecking, resulting in blood, that happens because of overcrowding. To try to put a chick, that hadn't been with another chicken or more would be putting a death sentence on it. It has had no interaction with other chickens and unless it's really fiesty would probably be dead in a short time.

It depends on what you mean by a "lone one". Was it alone all the time or was it a different color or was it pecked because it had a red spot on it somewhere?

I really don't know if the embryo was injected with dye or the little guy was sprayed, coated or whatever with turquoise dye. If you google Easter chicks you will find directions on how to inject dye into eggs and be able to cover the hole from the injection so the egg will mature into a chick.

Mitch brought up an interesting question... "How can they tell which embryos are pullets or cockerls?" so that leads me to believe this dyeing process is preformed after the chicks are hatched.

The little one's adult feathers are beginning to come out. On the Ideal hatchery site (where the feed store orders from) I read that these chicks are light colored roosters, with no other information. This little one is already getting some adult feathers. The first flight feathers on both wings are black on the bottom and top. It's got white feather coming out on it's tail, bum, both sides of it's breast and legs. I'm really curious as to what type chicken it is. I wish I could share pictures but my computer took a dive and until I have it fixed or this one I'm currently using downloaded with several programs I won't be able to post pictures. :Bawling: