Update on My Medical Transcription Experience

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAS, May 28, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I posted here a little over a year ago about getting into medical transcription. Well, I finished my on-line course (Career Step) and started job hunting right away. I finished the course on May 16 and I got a job offer on the 25th. I start my new job on June 8th. I also have a local clinic interested in me, but they are going through a CEO change right now and I have to wait till the new CEO starts.

I am so excited about getting this far and actually see some results. I will be working out of my home, part-time, and earning more per hour than I did as a graphic designer. I get to pick my own hours (though I am stuck with them for 6 months before I can change them), so I have the whole day with the kids, livestock, and garden, and then I work a late shift. I have a lot of friends that are interested in this career now.

The course is not easy and it took a lot of dedication. It is not a quick way to a job.

I just thought I would share my experience with some of you that are looking for other ways of supporting your homestead.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I think that is just great ! And , I'll bet that learning all those 6bit medical terms was the hardest part . Or , maybe interpretating the Doctors writing was the hardest part . Hope you continue to enjoy your new career . fordy... :)

3. hanlonfive

hanlonfive seeker of knowledge

JAS, could you emai me offlist at oak_pixie@yahoo.com or pm me here on the forum. I have always been interested in medical transcription but didn't know which company to go through as some are probably "flaky". LOL Thanks in advance!

Kelli

4. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Jas,
    Good for you! I have my certificate in medical transcription but I haven't had any luck finding anything that I wouldn't have to leave home to go and do. I did do some part-time transcribing for a Podiatrist a couple years ago but around here, the hospitals want you to work in-house. There is one about 18 miles away that if you get hired on you work for 6 months in-house and then they set you up at home and every 6 weeks you work a weekend in-house.
    Your offer sounds great!
    Good luck!

5. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations! I was lucky enough to step into a job right away as well but he is a cheap Indian doctor who doen't pay near what he should. I am making a lot more cleaning houses than I do with him and no one else seems to be interested. Are you working for a local doctor or an on-line firm?

Sherry in GA

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

When I was looking into programs I found out that Career Step is the 3rd highest ranking correspondent school for Medical Transcription. The price isn't half bad either. I haven't started a program yet, but I'm glad to hear good reports from real people.
    I have to ask tho, if you don't mind, since I am unfamiliar, how do you handle taxes? Since you will be a "contractor" will you just file all at once like normal? Did the school help you with finding your job, and did they walk you thru your first contract?

Congrats, BTW!

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are working for MQ it's not too bad a company, I've been with them for 5-1/2 years now working at home. MQ will ONLY hire graduates from CareerStep without any experience to back up the certification. I know 2 others that are doing that course right now. It's a great career, but as stated, it's REALLY hard to get the learning - basically like going to medical school yourself - you have to know what the docs are talking about so you can spell the words correctly AND catch their errors when they make them! I work the early a.m. shift and quit at noon every day - my eyes give out at night! congratulations on your success, gal I KNOW what it took to get where you are now.
    almost there, most of the transcription companies have changed over from "contract employees" to regular employees so they handle the taxes. I worked up until December as a contractor and just put 10% of each paycheck in a saving account to be there to handle any taxes due. No biggie, but working parttime usually gives you no benefits if that is important to you.

Heere's the site for CareerStep http://www.careerstep.com/

8. hanlonfive

hanlonfive seeker of knowledge

Goatlady, what does MQ mean?

Kelli

P.S. Thanks for the link!!!!

9. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

I did medical transcription for many years, starting about 1980, therefore, when it was offered to do it online, I had enough experience to be hired and work from home. But truthfully, it seems that when you work from home, you really have to work harder at it. I tried to keep my kids with me, but I ended up putting them back into daycare so that I could get the work done! But it is a good living if you are quick (that means type upwards of 100 words a min) and if you know what you are doing ...... and sitting in a chair for hours on end typing at breakneck speed doesn't bother you, lol. I worked for several of the national companies, MQ stands for Med Quest doesn't it? (I think) lol. I hope it works out well for you. It's worth it if you can keep up with the keystrokes :).

Woodsmokeinherhair! (who is now disabled and doesn't have to keep up with the rat race anymore :) )

10. Easttex

Easttex Member

Interesting post. I've been working in pre-press for about 14 years and have truly grown to loathe the printing industry.

I've been looking around at different career options and MT appears to have some potential. I'd love to work from home.

Anyways thanks for the post and links.

11. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I have been interested in that career for some time now. Can anyone tell what the annual payscale is in your area (if that isn't getting too personal)? Thanks. :)

12. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what anyone else makes but when I did transcription the money I made was pittiful. I could never support myself that way! It might make a good job for someone whos spouse works too. Two of my sisters also do transcription and made more than me(they type MUCH faster) but they would be hard pressed to support themselves with it.

13. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi Goatlady, thank you for encouraging me to take the course. I made it through! I even applied at MedQuist but have not heard back from them yet. A lot of the companies I applied at required a fast internet connection and full-time employment.

The hardest thing about the course was sticking to it and getting all the reports completed. I really enjoyed the anatomy and physiology and the medical word building. I still need work on my grammar and proof reading, two of my weaker areas.

I will be an "employee" for the national company. If I work for the local clinic, I believe it will be contract work and I will have to make up a contract and bill them for work completed.

The pay rate varies; I am still trying to figure it out. The employee rate will be less than if you are an independent contractor working directly with the client. I will be paid by the line (65 characters), so the hourly rate will vary by how many lines I type. This company does require at least 135 lph (lines per hour). I have 90 days to get up to speed. Most graduates get paid anywhere from $.05 to $.08 per line, so, if you do the math, you can see how much it can vary. I found a site that lists South Dakota's Medical Transcriptionist's mean hourly wage is $11.70. That is pretty good for this area, but I believe it reflects in-house wages mostly. Also, I am looking forward to earning a paycheck without day-care and transportation expenses.

Another factor that needs to be considered is most companies require at least 98% correct reports--you need to be fast and accurate!

There are many programs out there (expanders) that will help your productivity and once you become familiar with an account, your speed will increase. I have read that new medical transcriptionist pay to work for the first six months, but once you get the experience and the speed, that's when you start to make money.

Here is one site that lists companies that hire national at-home transcriptionist. It is a very long list and that is not all of them.

http://www.transcriptionresource.com/

I hope that helps.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

WONDERFUL NEWS!

Good for you , following through and not being afraid to follow your dreams. You're an inspiration to all of us.

Keep it up.

donsgal

15. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

16. Jyllie63

Jyllie63 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi....I did a search for medical transcription on the forum and was very interested in this thread. I'm just about ready to sign up with Career Step and it's reassuring to know someone has taken the course, got a job and all is well. Would you mind updating your experience with all of this? Thanks!

17. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

good for you. I also work at home and know how fortunate I am. I don't find it hard to stay focused on the job like some people warned me. I get up in the morn, do chores, start something for diner sometimes in the crock pot and put a load of laundry in. I get a few breaks during the day, I come to HT and my other forum and check the news of the day; then put the laundry on the drying rack or outside on the line depending on the weather. quick 20-30 min lunch and visit with the animals. finish off the day online and then get to work around here with chores and cooking dinner.

When I worked in an office, I found it harder to work because people would come in my office all day asking questions. I'd take lunch with my friends about once a week or so and that's an hour away from work. then to escape the stress, I'd go for a few walks to get away from everyone. Since I don't have people asking me 100 questions a day, I just work. I sit down and work for the most part without much distraction. Now people are forced to email me and I can answer their questions when I'm at a stopping point.

I'm so happy for you!

:hobbyhors

18. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My new company has outsourced its transcriptions to India I hear. And from what I know of the state of affairs for doctors and nurses there in India it mgiht be unemployed docs and nurses doing transcription! But hopefully India will soon be so prosperous that they will outsource their med dictation to us.... Sigh.