Update on my goats.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sweeney89, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Sweeney89

Sweeney89 Member

I'm giving yall a little update on my goats who recently got poisoned by eating azaleas. I have to thank every single person who helped out. Yall saved my goats life. They are doing fine now and are 100%. I got a question though. Before they got sick they always fought. They got along for the most part but when it came down to food or territory the male would constantly try to fight the female. We've had these goats for quite some time and we've always wondered why they have never mated.

We figured they just weren't interested in each other. But after they got better they stopped fighting and it seems like the male is more sexually aroused. Whenever I go out and check on them the male goes up to the female and begins rubbing his head round the vagina of the female and she just stands there like she enjoys it. What exactly is he doing? Is it possible that they are close to mating?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The reason they never mated is probably because she wasn't in heat. They will only breed when the doe is in heat, otherwise the doe will fight off all his advances, and is seen as fighting. Sounds like you'll have babies in 5 months!! LOL

3. Sweeney89

Sweeney89 Member

So it's a good chance they've already mated? What causes doe to go into heat and how long does she stay in heat?

4. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I think you need to start reading up on the birthing process and count off 150 days.

I am so glad things have turned out so well for you.

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you got your goats through the poisoning! We've been wondering how they were doing.

Lynda