Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when I wrote "ever had one of those days" I didn't think it would turn into a really bad week. Well my doe with the bottle jaw kept looking like she was coming back around, but she started with the watery diarrhea again yesterday. She was weak this am and couldn't muster the strength to get up. I had to wait for DH to get home but had decided we would have to put her down. When he got in we went down to the barn and she had passed on. LGD went to vet and had some kind of constriction from an old injury that had flared up( we got her when she was 5) The vet gave us pain meds and antibiotics to try but if no better by Mon. we could send her to the Vet school and spend lots of money on an amputation for a 7yo dog that may or may not work.She wasn't any better in fact She hobbled out to do her buisness and couldn't get back to the barn when it started to rain . I went out to help her back to the barn and cried in the rain trying to help this poor dog into the barn. We just got done laying her to rest also. We didn't have her long but some how I feel we failed her in her care. :Bawling:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am so sorry that you lost them both. It has been a rough week for you. I hope and pray that you don't have another one like it ever again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. My father keeps telling me i need to read this when i have days/weeks like this... i have read it alot lately. I'm sorry that you lost them... even having her for a shot time, she was like family i'm sure... and i'm sorry for your losses this week. I hope things look up for you.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Chris, you have my heartfelt condolences. I know this has been rough, but like Emilea says, we just have to move on.
I am sure you did all you could.
God Bless and comfort you

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Chris, you did not fail your dog in her care. Large breeds tend to have these types of problems, and how could you possibly know her past history?

When you get a new LGD, one thing you can do to help it along is to feed canned salmon a couple times a week. It really helps keep joints limbered up, and at nominal cost. I feed it a couple times a week to my dogs, the cheapest stuff I can buy.

Sorry about your goat. There are some I have had that just don't respond, no matter how heroic my efforts. You cared for her in the best way possible, it just sometimes doesn't work out. Hang in there.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
I'm so sorry, Chris. Don't blame yourself for things out of your control. I hope this weeks is much better for you

·
Registered
467 Posts
Chris- I heard through the grapevine that the NC Great Pyr rescue is about to help with a rescue project of a place (in MO IIRC) with about 125 GP's, about 40 of which are working dogs. I also have a neighbor with lots of GP's for sale, from weaning pups up to adults. Their current conditon is moderately pathetic, the guy doesnt care for them at all- just throws out some feed once a day, maybe. I bought one cheap to rescue it, hes a great dog. Ive got three pups that were orphaned that I just bottle raised that just turned out great at 6 ws from the guy. Another neighbor has some pups that are about 1.2-3/4 GO, part anatolian and part border collie, they are about 10-12 wks old already in with the goat herd and he's selling them for 40 bucks, has a couple left I think. I'm in NW AR, if I can help you get a LGD from either of these sources, please let me know...tentative plan is that I'll be driving to TN in about a month or so to drop of a couple of pups to a friend there, so wont be too far away and might be able to meet you...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone. I don't think will get another Pyr. it is just too hot here for them . If you try to clip them it helps ,the heat and humidity makes them miserable.The goats are close to the house and come up at night. My blue heelers do a good job of keeping anything away at night. might look into a guard donkey if I see I need something in with them.Right now I think I will not add another animal. I hope they have luck with the dog rescue. That is how I got the one I had. She was an awsome LGD she took her job seriously. She didn't care much for human attention though so we did have trouble caring for her.The only human she tolerated attention from was my grandaughter.She would stay at her side when she was in the goat pen and actually nipped the herd boss when she got too rough with her.We will miss her.
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts