Update on: Is .50 cents a pound not very much anymore?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 29, 2005.

1. Well this morning I decided that I am going to count every can I see while on my dailey walking extrasize. I thought in the 1 1/2 mile walk (3 miles total round trip) there has got to be 200 to 300 cans that I see every morning. Well I counted every can I could see while on my brisk walk and I came up with 718 aluminum cans. This didn't include the ones I couldn't see for the high weeds. It didn't include and accurate count when I would see multiple cans in a low lying culvert area. Couldn't count fast enough and may have recounted some. Didn't count opening any beer boxes up to see what's in them, nor did I count any plastic sacks that I could see several cans protruding. So if it takes 24 cans to make a pound at .50 cents a pound that would equal a total of $14.96 that I am looking at every morning when I walk. Mmmm! I believe my kids just got theirselves a new money making job!

You know what else? I guess this tells you just how dirty the Oklahoma roads are. Along with the cans there was a whole lot of other trash as well.

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

You are going to get in really good shape with all the walking you're gonna do!

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

In ny state all cans and bottles have a .05 deposit
    Hard to find them anywhere now.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

You know, r.h., if you add bending over to pick up those cans to your routine, that would make your walk even better exercise. ;)

5. :hand: No, no Gayle. I don't think so! This is a job for my kids! :goodjob: The doctor only told me to do a lot of walking, he didn't say anything about bending!

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Once or twice a year we take trash bags on our walks and get several full bags. Makes it easier to ignore the other times. We even invite neighbors so we share the trash load of the passersby. I cannot imagine counting the cans but not picking them up! Kids seeing you participating in the chore sets a great example.

If 50 cents a pound is worth anything, pick them up! If a clean road is worth anything to you, pick them up.

Maybe I was unclear, but I think you ought to PICK THEM UP! :cowboy: