Update on goats & question about worming

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rosarybeads, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Well, the little ones are doing good, still am supplementing with a bottle or two during the day. I have one sheep and one goat due this week, can't wait! ;)

As far as the thin goat that I lost the babies to, I have been trying to plump her up, and after talking to a vet, checked out her mouth. Everything is fine, noticed she is at least 4 years old, but I did notice that her gums were kinda white. GRRR, wish I would've checked that sooner. We did worm her and the others a couple of months ago, soon after we got them, but apparently she is still wormy? We drenched her with Ivermectin, should I try a different wormer or use the same again? Would her gums have "pinked up" by now? She is definitely improving since I have been giving her special treatment with her food, but I think she still needs to be wormed again.

2. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I don't know about the proper dose of Ivermectin for a goat, but I do know that there are other things that would make an animal anemic... I'm concerned about worming her again before trying some things to address the Anemia. There are blood builders, B-complex injectable, probiotics are marvelous for a ton of things....

Sometimes, when an animal has a huge gut-load of parasites, and you worm them with something very powerful like Ivermectin, the very act of pulling all those parasites off of their attachments in the intestines will cause thousands of tiny bleeds and can actually make them anemic from that, too.

I would LOVE to know the dose of Ivermectin for goats, though!! The parasites in my area are rumored to be very resistant to Safe-Guard....

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Ivomec (1% cattle injectable) is dosed at 2 cc's per 100 lbs. Always go on the heavy side as you can not really overdose them on it. Under dosing can lead to resistance.

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy... that's as a drench, right?

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

It would take a while to get over the anemia from a heavy worm load. Some iron injections (like what we used to give baby pigs) would help with the anemia as well as the B Fortified. A heavy worm load might require another worming (or even two) to get things back to a better level. Also wormers are not necessarily effective against all types of parasites. We have been using Ivermectin lately, but also use Safeguard a few times during the year for the parasites that are more susceptible to that family of wormers than to the Ivermectin. We have also heard that resistence is easily built up by the wormer family that includes Safeguard. For that reason, we use it sparingly.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.