Update on free trailer!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Sep 24, 2005.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

Well Friday was kinda hectic around here, the guys moving the storage trailer were supposed to call at 8:30 am to let me know when they could move it - well finally at 10:30 am they called and of course were already at the plant that was giving it to me.

Got the trailer half loaded and we decided to turn it around so the doors would be facing the front of the truck so when it was unloaded, it would be facing the right direction.

Three hours later it was unloaded at the farm and now I have the big job of cleaning it up and repainting it! The interior plywood has to be replaced in some places, and there will need to be a bit of patching at the bottom of the sidewalls, but overall, it doesn't leak and it's big enough to store a lot of stuff. The guys loaded it on a huge flatbed truck using a tractor trailer wrecker and did it pretty quick, unloading was a bear though as where I wanted it was not where the truck wanted to go, but fortunately thanks to good driving, they got it pretty well centered and on target.

Guess it pays to be persistent and keep looking around!

Sidepasser

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Was it A trailer or A storage container??? as the trailer would have had axles .And the price sounded good free. What size is it??Are you setting it up off the ground?? that will help keep it from rotting out on the floor. Plus that way its not A perminate building, Meaning lower taxes..

3. sidepasser

Hi,

It is a 48 feet long trailer without the wheels and axles. The plant that had given it to me had been using if for storage and had it wired for electric. When the company sold out to, they advertised the trailer for free, so I called but was told it had already been given away. However, a few days later, the plant called and said the guy who wanted it couldn't get it moved. I got on the phone, made a couple of calls and found a moving company to move it. It has a good floor and is up off the ground - it sits on the metal frame about 2 feet off the ground.

Free is always best although I did have to pay to get it moved, it was still a real bargain.

Sidepasser

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

sounds like you made on of those lucky finds...

as a professional scrounger, my hat's off to you.... :cowboy:

texican

5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to beat FREE! I'd love to get one of those. Too bad everyone discovered shipping containers. They used to go for next to nothing...

Back when I had no land... :D

6. sidepasser

If you contact some of the trailer companies (like Roadway, etc.), sometimes they have one that has damage and will let you have it for nearly free - the local trucking company here has one that got some sidewall damage and they said otherwise it was sound, they are asking 1,000 for it, but said if I really wanted it we could negotiate on the price as they don't want to fix it (too old and cost more in labor than they want to put into it). Might find one that way.

I love free especially since the call came on Friday and the following Monday I was prepared to bite the big one and pay for a shipping container (40 feet at 1500.00 and it had to be repaired in a couple of places also).

Sidepasser