Update on earlier post re: 150 rabbits/week

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BearCreekFarm, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Sorry that I haven't had time to respond individually to everyone who inquired about the rabbits I was looking for a week or so ago.

We have decided to pass on the opportunity to supply this particular buyer. The rabbits were to be used for medical research, and the duration of the project was unknown at this time. We figured that a producer would have to have, or have access to, between 600-700 breeding does in order to meet the quota. Not only were we unable to locate that many does in our area, we also lacked a market for the estimated 150 females/week which would have to be disposed of, since the buyer only wanted males.

2. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Please continue to keep me in mind for breeding stock.

Tim B.

3. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Hey Tim-

We have about 80 bunnies right now, all between 2-3 or 4 weeks, I'll have to check my calender. At any rate, we will have weanlings available in about 4-5 weeks. Prospective future breeding stock I always leave with the does until the bunnies are 8 weeks, even though they self-wean sooner than that. If you think that time frame fits your schedule, put it on your calendar and give me a shout in a few weeks.

I will be keeping a number of the does for breeding, and maybe a couple of bucks, but other than that the rest of them will be available.