Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions about how to dye my hair. I asked because I felt like I should prepare for getting laid off and wanted a younger look. I also started re-thinking my resume.

Well, it appears that I may need to use that preparation sooner than than I expected. My company announced that it will be permanently laying off approximately 20% of employees in the next week. It appears that my location will be the hardest hit as approximately 30% of the employees will be permanently laid off.

The company will be giving laid off staff a (short term) severance package that has a few additional features for staff with 10 years or more of service and who are over 40 years of age. I just "celebrated" my 10th year service anniversary and am definitely over 40 years old.

The company announcement said that the layoff decisions have already been made by the executive team which gives me very little hope of keeping my job since no one outside of my department understands all the things I do.

I have 2 "normal" days of work (tomorrow and Monday) before the layoffs start. I've worked hard to ensure that 2008 is closed, but have decided that I will not cram to do all my "big & involved" monthly tasks in those 2 days. If the company chooses to lay me off, then it will need to figure out how to get my work done anyway. Instead I will work on cleaning up my paper & network files and getting some broken equipment sent in for repairs/recycling.

As for dyeing my hair, I've decided that I will give semi permanent dye a try. I think a lighter brown with red highlights would suit me well.

Thanks for all your help!

Deb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deb, just so you know; even "semi-permanent" hair color is hard to grow off later. My hair dresser says there is no way to grow it off gracefully and that they never tell us that when "we hit the bottle". I've been doing the hair color thing for over 30 years and would like to stop but hate the process of being half gray and half brown (or what ever).

Having said that, I do think your chances of landing a new job will be better if you aren't gray. Good luck!

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Being mostly gray up front, and salt and pepper on the rest, and firmly planted in the job hunting line at 50, I had that same conversation with myself and many others. I was told don't do it. This came from a 28 year old who has been in the hiring seat more than once. I was told that haircolor has nothing to do with any of your abilities and that chances are pretty good that if it was a choice between myself and a 20 something, I would be hired. I'm not going to dye my gray. I earned every one and will continue to wear them as medals to my life. If it keeps me from being hired somewhere, I'm not sure I would want to work there anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been where you are (twice as a matter of fact) and it is a very frightening feeling, isn't it?
But things worked out really well for me. Both times I ended up better off.

Since you will be getting a severance package, be sure to take some time before you even go looking for another job. You need time to grieve (kind of like a death in the family) and work through your feelings before you start pounding the pavement. I truly believe things happen for a reason.

And -I have dyed my hair many, many times :) many, many different colors. Be brave !If you don't like it, you can always use something different next time.

Best of luck!
martha

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Deb,
I'm sorry to hear you will be getting laid off. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. My experience has been that something better always comes around. Hope so for you too!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Are you sure that the layoff decisions have already been made? The management may just be saying that to see how people react. If you are the only person that knows how to do your job duties, then you may not be one of the layoffs. If you don't "do" your normal monthly duties and management sees you "slacking off", they may decide at that point that you need to be gone. In reality, they may "need" you there to help smooth the transition after the layoffs are completed.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Are you sure that the layoff decisions have already been made? The management may just be saying that to see how people react. If you are the only person that knows how to do your job duties, then you may not be one of the layoffs. If you don't "do" your normal monthly duties and management sees you "slacking off", they may decide at that point that you need to be gone. In reality, they may "need" you there to help smooth the transition after the layoffs are completed.
Exactly what I was thinking. You may just be part of the 20 percent staying! :)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Good luck on any future job interviews. Although I'm comfortable with my pudge and gray at home, I'd want to cover it if I were working. You'll feel younger and prettier either way, and that's just what you need if you end up layed off.

Prayers for you and your job, and enjoy the semi-permanent dye. At least it's not a perment decision if you don't like it!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to hear about your job Deb. My husband has lost 3 in last yr and a half. He finally decided to go back to school. Since I have benefits right now we can do this. I don't like hair dye...but I did have my hair "stained" a few times a few yrs ago. It washes out after a couple of months. I think the only time you will run into trouble with it now coming out is if your hair is really dry or damaged. Good luck

Sharon

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of the company was taking vacation over Christmas/New Years when it was announced in email this week. They will come back on Monday to find out that layoffs are happening on Tuesday and Wednesday. The state has already been notified of the layoffs because of the number of people being laid off.

The reason I think I am going to get cut is that the company announcment specified our department as being affected and I am the only non-technical person in a technical dept. High level execs don't know what I do and they didn't consult with any dept managers about the layoffs. Everyone else in my dept has a very technical job in an essential position so they will be viewed as being impossible to cut.

No one will see me "slacking off" because I won't be slacking off. I have tons of filing and equipment returns to do which sit on my desk until I have time. I'll catch up on this stuff and have my desk up cleaned in case I get the axe. If I don't get the axe then I will start the year with a clean desk and no filing hanging over my head.

deb

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear about your job Deb. My husband has lost 3 in last yr and a half. He finally decided to go back to school. Since I have benefits right now we can do this. I don't like hair dye...but I did have my hair "stained" a few times a few yrs ago. It washes out after a couple of months. I think the only time you will run into trouble with it now coming out is if your hair is really dry or damaged. Good luck

Sharon
Unfortunately my husband was downsized in late August and hasn't found a job yet. I am our only source income right now and my job provides the medical insurance so if I get laid off we will be in tight straights.

deb

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Good luck with the job Deb.

Because of your earlier thread I colored my hair this past week. What a blast! I love it.
Used the natural instincts and it was very easy and looks great. Good bye grey!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,295 Posts
I'm 54, and I color my hair because I don't feel well if my hair greys. It's greying out in a very odd manner - primarily on one side of my head.

I use Natural Instincts, too. I mix the light brown with the light auburn because the light auburn by itself is too red.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
In some ways you've been blessed by being given a heads up that this is coming. If it is you they will call you in and say "here is your severance." Consider being prepared to ask for something else on top of what you are offered. You have a good chance of getting it. For example, ask to be carried on the company's insurance for several months. Go ahead and try to negotiate for more severance. Or go in with a list of work that will need to be parceled out among your fellow employees and point out that there is no trained back up for what you do... and ask for two weeks to help your department get organized to take over your position. Be graceful but focused on helping the company get over this hurdle, while at the same time doing what you can to negotiate additional resources for yourself. Two more weeks of pay is two more weeks of breathing space.

Literature indicates, and my experience in manufacturing bears this out, that management offers a severance package but when confronted with a negotiator will yield more if for no other reason than they don't want a loose cannon out there damaging the company image. But most people are so emotional, angry, upset, they don't think to try and negotiate.

Some things you could ask for:

More time to help your department get organized to take over your duties.

Health insurance benefits

Hardware (computer equipment, Blackberry, whatever the company might have issued you so you can do your job)

Access, as in access to company resources (like a gym, databases, continuing to receive the company newsletter, employee discounts)

As you negotiate each point put it in writing on the pad you've brought to the meeting. If you go in prepared to negotiate over 5 items, there is a good chance you'll get something out of it because nobody likes saying "no" repeatedly. I saw one very junior level employee negotiate a YEAR of health coverage because she was over 50 and overweight. She was very calm about it but her position was that she understood the company was having difficulties, AND she accepted that downsizing was inevitable, AND she was also aware that younger, healthier, employees might be more flexible for the company, BUT there are laws to protect older workers from age discrimination.

I was in the interview. She used the ME AND AND construction, very nonconfrontational and dignified.. so the threat was delivered calmly and nicely... but it was definitely there. Management's response was that this had nothing to do with age, her position was being eliminated (which it genuinely was, meaning legally she had no standing). And she responded that she appreciated that, but that at her age it was going to take time to find a new position, she was hoping for an extension of her health benefits.

And, frankly.. they were so thrown by someone negotiating with them they offered much more than she'd have settled for. They offered her a year. I'm sure she would have been amazed if she was offered an extra month. But she totally kept her cool, thanked them, and said "I'll type that up so we both have a copy for our files before I leave."

For someone who had pretty much been a drain on the company for months it was an impressive performance, and I have a profound respect now for what a calm employee can ask and negotiate for.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Deb: I am saying a prayer for you and your family. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders planning for what may come. Join us on the tightwad tips thread and we can help you come up with all kinds of ideas for keeping your heads above water while you manuever through the dangerous rapids that may be ahead.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
think you will have to touch up the roots, on any thing you do to your hair. Another expense. God gave us gray hair to wear with pride and glory. We earned it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts