update on crystal

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by lilsassafrass, Mar 1, 2005.

1. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Well , we had the cowapractor out to visit crystal and give his opinion , and sad to say he confirmed what we already knew, that if she hadnt gotten up in teh first 12 hours , she isnt going to get up . and the kindest thing is to send her on ... this is one of the hardest discisions I have ever had to make,
    Saddly in the first 12 hours we were fighting bloat and hypothermia, and trying to move her great bulk into the barn so that we could do it , getting he in a sling and standing wasnt one of the options for course of action at the time.
    As of now , she is quite healthy as far as that goes , eating at one end , pooping at teh other and my daughter and i have been rolling her over twice a day , to keep the circulation going in her legs, she can somewhat kick those legs , but if you accidently step on one in the straw , she shows no reaction , as well as she doesnt lift or move her tail .. and the cowapractor confirmed to me that either she broke her pelvis or pinched a nerve in her spine and that there was just nothing that could be done at this point
    she after all wasnt a young cow she reached the grand old age of 15 and has had numerous calves ... 12 , and her heifer calf from yearbefore last we retained in teh herd for replacement ,all the rest either beefed or sold fror breeding .
    Miracles do happen , and I think i am going to give her another week , she is trying to get up , and she isnt suffering , and I dont need the stall at the moment and my daughter and i have plenty of strength to keep flipping her over .... but if there is no improvemt by next sunday(and i dont really think there is going to be ) crystal will be sent on to meet the creator of all creatures
    so .. here is to Crystal , the Grand Old Pie Eating Cow
    May her progeny multiply and become as good natured as she is !!!!!

Paula
    Hyde Park Farm

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Awww, Paula, that's so sad!

I do wish you had a way to lift her up ... although, if the chiro is correct, it probably wouldn't do any good and would just put her through further trauma. :(

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The information you got is very accurate. Be careful in leaving her for another week, you may find that she'll start getting the equivalent of bedsores and when they are down, they generally aren't likely to be eating and drinking as well as they should so their condition does erode.

4. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

I had a Red Poll that had a bull calf too big for her to deliver. The vet pulled the calf out (dead) and the cow ended up thrashing her way to the bottom of a big gully. Everyone told me to consider butchering her because she'd never get up. I took water, hay and grain down to her throughout the day for a week. Just when I convinced myself to go ahead and call the butcher, I found her standing - wobblily but standing - on her own. The next day my neighbor suggested that we try to get her up out of the gully. I got up the next morning a little late and she was standing at the top of the gully waiting for her grain. She has since had two healthy bull calves and bawls at me if I'm late with her grain! There is always hope! I wish you the best.

Dan

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Sucks when that crap happens, and especially when told the inevitable.