Update on Cat move to North Carolina

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nomad, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Been pretty busy and have been slow getting back to give the update on the 62 cat move from Ohio to North Carolina. One cat died in transit and a few others were severely stressed, but only one more expired. So 60 of the little furry four legged creatures are now safely transplanted to their new home. Thanks once again to everyone who had constuctive ideas and for your concern.

Nomad

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the update!

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

how did you finally do it?

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I wasn't able to help out as I had planned. After seven months of being unemployed I started a new job a few days before the move. From what I have been told there were only two drivers and they drove a moving truck and a pickup truck with a van being towed. The woman's brother was supposed to be another driver but he lives in Florida and couldn't come up because of the hurricane. When I think about how my luck goes, I have only to think about that poor woman's life and things don't seem so bad for me. The worst part about the whole thing is that she is completely unhappy where she is now and in deep despair. She sees no reason for living. I think she let her daughter talk her into something way too soon after her husbands death. At least she had friends here. Oh well, all we can do is pray she finds the will to go on and doesn't do anything to harm herself.

Nomad

5. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

What a shame! I guess I had envisioned her moving to North Carolina, settling into her life here and loving it. It is a beautiful state, and I refuse to admit that I'm biased.

When I used to work with families who'd suffered a loss, my standard recommendation was to try not to make any major changes in the first year unless it was necessary. Of course, sometimes it was necessary, and from your earlier posts, it kind of sounded like her situation, the move might have been pretty necessary, too.

Moving to any new place requires adjustments, and moving when one is more mature is very difficult. At least when you have children, you wind up meeting lots of new people because of the activities they're involved in. When you're an adult, you typically have to go out and get involved, which isn't easy for many.

I hope it does work out for her and that she settles into her new life. Perhaps her furry friends that she's worked so hard to rescue and care for will be enough to keep her going emotionally until she becomes more comfortable where she is.