Update on bread and cheese expiriment

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tinknal, Nov 23, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You may recall the thread I started about raising a pair of pigs on bread and cheese. There were some health issues with one of the pigs. First he got a navel infection, then he had episodes of bleeding (profuse) from the nose. He recovered from both problems, but ended up much smaller than his brother. I butched the smaller one the last 2 days. I was suprised that his lungs and liver appeared normal. I guess his weight at around 230. The chops are nice and meaty, and he had a decent covering of fat, about like a modern market hog. The other is MUCH fatter, and he will be done next. I don't mind the extra fat, as we render it all out. I haven't tasted it yet, but so far the experiment seems a success. I'll update after a plate of pork chops!

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Tinknal Thanks for sharing your experience on an alternative method of raising. Did you make any approximations as to Dollar cost you had in rearing the two pigs in this fashion?...

3. tinknal

Well, the cheese is free, and I pay $9. a pickup load for the bread. Since most of the bread goes to my poultry, I'm not sure how much for the bread, but if I had to guess I'd say it was around $50.

4. tinknal

I just finished cutting up fatso. As I expected, he was very lardy. I'd have liked to see a little more meat on the chops, I'll prolly get them earlier next year. Besides the cuts, I got a canner full of ground lard, and about 4 gallons of sausage.