update on baby

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by myheaven, May 26, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

well the poor thing made it threw the night not with out being hurt. I think he lost an eye or very near it. Momma was pooping and peeing all over him. I brang him in and put him in warm water to clean him and warm him up. I also made up some milk (home made kitten formula and he dran about a 1/4 cc. It was just a few drops but hey he ate.Im going to do my best because it looks like momma dosent want him. Wish me luck and say a prayer for this little one.

2. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such bad luck with this litter of babies. I've had something similar happen where the doe wouldn't take care of her babies. What I did was keep them in the house and then three or four times a day I would take the baby bunny to the doe and if I had to, I'd hold her down so the baby could nurse. I've successfully raised a few litters like this. It does take a lot more work but well worth it to get the little guys to live.

Good luck with this baby and keep us posted.

3. myheaven

I'll have to try that.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Hi again!
    I've been following your story about the remaining kit - hope he makes it.
    I've never tried to raise babies myself, but I have a recent customer who is raising a couple 10 day old kits. She used the kitten formula, too. One thing she learned is not to feed too much. I know you'll want them to eat a lot so they will grow and be strong, but be very careful. They bloat very easily. She found out you need to mix the formula a little weak at first until they get used to it, or they bloat and can die.
    I'll keep watching and hoping!
    Lisa at Somerhill

5. myheaven

thank you for te advise i will do that.

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Myheaven, you know that you have to potty it after each feeding, don't you? I mean if the mother rabbit is not caring for it.

I believe what you have to do is dampen a facecloth or maybe a couple of cotton swabs with warm water and gently stroke the area of the bladder with it. This will stimulate it to pee. The mother rabbit normally licks the baby to do this, so that will give you some idea of what you are imitating. I have heard if you do not do this that the baby's bladder will get overfull and may burst, killing the poor thing.

No personal experience of doing this, just what I've read in this forum, so hopefully someone who has actually done this will chime in with better directions. Hope Baby makes it!

7. myheaven

Yes i am doing this. I figured they were like cats and I hand raised 4 kittens.
    So far the kit is just wonderful full of energy and eating well. Not to mention buried its way into my heart.
    We have to leave for michigan on sunday and he/she will be in a special bag made for her/him in my bra and i will be brinning the incubator for the stay at the inlaws.

My husband first made me VERY angry by saying it(kit) will be fine I dont want to go to mi alone. SO i yelled and then gave the silent treatment now the kit comes with us. Dh fell inlove with the kit as soon as he see her.

8. myheaven

well this morning the baby nursed on the eye dropper im using for it. First it foght me then it held on for dear life and sucked it all down. Then cuddled into my hand and fell asleep. I washed up his bum and put him in his incubator. Hes full warm happy and strong.

The kit is already getting hair. Little fuzz all over the little body.

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

you are being a great Bunny Mom--

10. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

11. myheaven

im back from the trip. On the way there the bunny did great as happy as she could have been in my warm lap. The first night we got in to the inlaws at 230 am i plgged in the bator to the wrong out let. and when we turned off the lights the bator went down i didnt know till the am when I went to show my daughter and inlaws and the little bunny got to cold and died. I cant help but kick myself in the ass for doing such a dumb thing. It was an accident i totally forgot the power strip was on the switch. I dont think it would have been so bad but the bator was by the open window and was getting the cool breeze all night. I guess lesson learned.
    Thank you all for your information and support.