Update on "5 tries to breed heifer, hamburger or try again?"

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by lorian, Dec 19, 2006.

1. lorian

lorian Well-Known Member

Well,
    thanks for all the good advice to my thread post (about a month and a half ago) we ran buttercup the heifer with a Jersey bull and it took! She's expecting . So now I don't have to buy a new freezer!

I guess the bull just had better timing than we did! I'm hoping I don't have to do this everytime but he "saved her butt" in the nick of time (literally! ) :baby04:

Just want to say I really appreciate all the people on this HS board.

2. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Yay for Buttercup, I hope she has a wonderful heifer calf! :)

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Giving an animal an extra try can pay off. I know if I gave up on the heifer that took 8 tries, I would have missed out on one that tested 96lbs in November, and one who could classify 85pts or better. Sometimes the extra push is needed, and when you have a good animal, turning the other way is very hard to do.

Jeff

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Here's not only hoping for a heifer calf, but for an easy birth and a great experience milking buttercup.

6. de Molay

de Molay Well-Known Member

That's the big problem with AI...A good prolific bull is the sure way....If you are renting a purebred bull from someone, ask to see his Bulltest certificate from the vet....Give him a good look over make sure he has good feet and is not lame...The best way is to take the cow to the bull if you can....