Update on 10-month old kidding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mary,tx, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of months ago, I posted worried about a little doe that accidentally got bred at 5 months. I've worried over her the last couple of months as it has become more obvious, whether she would even be able to deliver the kid, or if I would lose my daughter's favorite goat because of my poor management. I worried whether I should have aborted her after the pregnancy became obvious.

Bless her heart, her little legs could barely hold her weight the last few weeks. Still, she never complained. She didn't look big enough to have more than one small kid.

Today, on her due date and in the middle of the day, she went into labor. After several pushes, she seemed hardly dialated, and it didn't seem like she would make it. Then, miraculously the little hooves and head appeared.
    When I saw the tongue hanging out, I thought it was dead, but in short order the perfectly healthy little doe was born. And within a couple of minutes, an identical little doe followed.

Two beautiful does! I brought them in and put them on bottles, thinking to dry off my too-small doe and let her put calories into her own growth for awhile. What a sweet goat she is. I can't tell you how relieved I am this evening not to have lost her, and to have had such a successful, daytime kidding.

I'll pamper that little doe for a few days.

mary

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Well done!

What breeds were involved?

I have one that is going to kid at 1yo she's about 65# Alpine...bred to Nubian...hoping things go well in April.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Awww, and no pictures?

4. mary,tx

I'm hoping to get pictures on in a day or two. I'm having issues with this computer.
    mary

5. mary,tx

Full Nubian, bred to a half-brother, also full Nubian.
    I hope yours goes as well.
    mary

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have a goat buddy worried about her nigerian who was accidentally bred at six months. I'll pass on this good news.

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

What a relief, and two doelings to boot....enjoy your good fortune...Tennessee John

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I had a couple of accidental breedings of (less than) yearling lamanchas last year - both of them weighed around 45 lbs when they were bred and about 65 when they kidded at just one year old - both had beautiful single does with no problems. The doelings were a little on the small side when born but caught right up with their same age half siblings. The bad thing is that the early breeding apparently stunted the yearlings a little, I have left them dry for the coming year trying to put some growth on them, they're slowly catching up to their 18 month old siblings.. funny thing, those two doelings are as big as their mammas already. It apparently didn't affect the genetics any. If they don't get bigger, I have a friend with a ND and I might try my hand with a few "mini manchas".

9. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Wow, good job. You didn't mention weight. Or how mom is reacting to the kids. Does she get to nurture them?

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The alpine side of my herd or a cross of it seems to grow much faster than my nubians. The nubians have to be 2yo generally before kidding.

My nubian/alpine cross doe was 110# at 7months and still nursing :nono: ....I bred her for her #1b-day as well a few years ago...a single that was breech though and mom got bad mastitis on one side...she delivered on her own though.

I think Faith will be just fine and I hope she is as good a momma as her mom is :) Twin doelings would be the goats maaaaah though :p

11. mary,tx

No, she did not lick them, and didn't seem to have any idea what she'd just done. I really didn't want her to try to nurse two kids as small as she is, so I scooped them up and brought them in to my "goat bucket". She does not seem to miss them, and is doing fine tonight.

By weigh tape, Twila was only maybe eighty pounds at kidding. I didn't weigh the little ones, but they are not overly small. I think they will be just fine.

mary

12. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, Mary! Just getting back from a visit with my Mom, and saw your post. Congrats on the safe deliveries, we all learn from each other! Jan in Co

13. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Nubians have to be 18 mos before breeding? Pygmies need to be at least 14 mos. I have a percentage doe 50/50, nubian/boer cross that may have been oopsies bred at 10 months. Does this mean possible problems? She's so big to me.

14. mary,tx

Robin, I have never held mine over that long to breed. I routinely breed at 10 months. I wouldn't be worried at all.

hi, Jan!

mary

15. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Thank goodness, I was worried there for a moment. Now just worried about the outcome. My buck, he's black. My doe, she's typical Nubian w/Boer coloring and head. Yikes

16. mary,tx

The fun thing about Nubians is that you can get any color; you never know what you're going to get.

One year, my daughter child decided she wanted a white kid. I told her, sorry, but Nubians don't have white kids. Sure enough, my full Nubian doe, bred to a full Nubian buck, had a beautiful white kid, with black head and Nubian markings on the face. Gorgeous thing. Too bad it was a buck.

mary

17. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I'm glad to hear the doe done great on having the babies and you now have 2 little babies to spoil rotten.

Can't wait to see photos of the new ones.

Congrats

18. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

as long as your doelings are at least 80lbs at the time of breeding and you keep them well fed through out their pregnancy they will be great at the time of kidding and keep growing well and you wont end up with over weight does who wont breed well and will have too much fat in their udder to milk well compaird to a doe bred at the right time,

i would say your early doe is no worse for ware, let her dry off and then breed her when she is at the proper weight and see if she does a better job with knowing what to do after delivery,