Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nurses at the hospital in Madrid are refusing to go to work because they do not want to take care of ebola patient or be exposed to the virus. Many have even quit, giving up their nursing contracts with the hospital. The patient is now in grave condition and doctor treating her says he does not expect her to make it. Hope that trend doesn't catch on here in the states.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Right, Vosey, people tend to think about catching the disease, but fear can be a much bigger problem.

When people are afraid to do their jobs, food doesn't get delivered, fuel either doesn't get distributed (or even refined), or power goes out for lack of workers and fuel can't be pumped. And if hospitals are overwhelmed with Ebola patients, how are they going to care for you if you have a different medical problem? Will there be adequate first responders to handle winter storms or house fires, or home invaders? If there are food shortages due to lack of JIT deliveries, there is going to be civil unrest, which will lead to even more problems.

So even if Ebola doesn't make you sick, life in general could become, um, interesting. What's that old Chinese curse? "May you live in interesting times!" I'd suggest prepping hard now, covering as many of your bases as you can while everything is fairly normal.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
This is a time for preventative measures. It's hard to imagine what immigrants were put though on Ellis Island and compare that to the lackadaisical approach by the feds now. With the internet and the ability to instantly communicate and our widespread dependency instead of self sufficiency during the "Spanish" flu we are sitting ducks for massive upheaval.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Another thing to think about, if you have retirement money or other money in the market, is what will happen if Ebola leads to a stock market crash. Looking at the ups and downs in the market this week makes me worry a bit about my funds...I need to do some research this weekend and see if I can move into cash or safer investments for a while. Given the history of October crashes and the market going from ~700 to ~17000 since 2008, I think further Ebola issues would be the final tipping point.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I read something earlier today about the airplane cleaners at LaGuardia going on strike.

Oh, here you go http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-plane-cleaner-strike-laguardia-20141009-story.html

I was in Alaska a few months ago. We had to change planes to a cargo passenger plane. Many of you have probably ridden on one. Cargo in the front and a few passengers in the back.
Alaska depends on these transport planes for much of their fresh food and other supplies to smaller communities.

Can't you just imagine what an airplane strike of some kind would do to this country let alone the rest of the world?

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Our Achilles heal is our dependency on a distribution and transportation system. Trucking is the life blood of this nation. Truckers rely on truck stops to refuel and refresh. All you need to think about is someone with Ebola patronizing the facilities. Likewise a trucker infected in one area of the country can transport the virus for thousands of miles. Someone will have to recover the truck it the driver goes off sick.

I'm reminded of the mass of vehicles parked after being involved in the cleanup of Chernobyl. They were just left. What happens if decontamination needs skyrocket in this country?

·
Registered
330 Posts
During the Spanish flu pandemic, most of my family was untouched. They just had lock down on the farm. No one in and no one out. They just all stayed on the farm and farmed. Had everything they needed.

My great grandmother kissed everyone good bye and left the farm to save her sister. She had heard that her sister's family (husband and 6 kids) had fallen ill. She told her family that she could not come back until the pandemic was over. My great grandmother managed to save her sister, her sister's husband, and one child. The family was so ill, that they didn't even realize that my GGM had buried the 5 children. They all would have died if GGM hadn't come and taken care of them. GGM never got sick. She was known for her OCD and washed everything in site. GGM returned home to her family after everything was over.

The moral of the story being that you should be prepared to isolate your family until everything is over and done with. And if someone does elect to leave, they can't come back until everything is fine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I know it sounds great to isolate your family.But what do you do if some family members are still out working,let alone working in healthcare,and children going to school???This really concerns me.
This is a toughie. It's easy to pull the kids out of school. Working in healthcare is a really hard balance. I work in healthcare and I know my instinct will be to care for my patients no matter what, that's my ethics, my training etc. But theres nothing wrong with putting your life and your families lives before anyone else. If I had children I wouldn't want to risk their exposure at all. If I was single I'd have no problem risking my own life for others, but throw in a husband (and who would take care of all the animals?) and it gets more complicated.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
My 11 year old son put it best..
"Better dirt poor and humiliated than dead."

This was in response to me explaining the difficulties in locking ourselves in or pulling up stakes.
I told him about the possibility of losing the house and looking totally stupid if all comes to naught.
And he responded with the above.

We still are in wait and see.
A lot more people would need to start dropping and more than just hospital workers before I would seriously consider an action.

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
I know it sounds great to isolate your family.But what do you do if some family members are still out working,let alone working in healthcare,and children going to school???This really concerns me.
I thought about this during the Swine Flu scare, as one family in my county had it. As it turned out they had not passed the illness on, and so I did not actually have to do anything!

I have not yet considered what I would do if Ebola came to my community because it is still quite a ways away! If just a handful of people had it I would not be too concerned, but the thing about infectious diseases is that they do not stay in one area!

I am still ticked off at the radio commentator who blasted the idea of helping the African nations with Ebola: he said that that showed that Liberals were idiots! Now, all politics aside, I would rather we fought Ebola over there than wait until it is an emergency over here! Because if it is not controlled then travelers will spread it across the globe, and then it would be terribly hard to control it.

With the Swine Flu I decided to stay away from crowds, theaters, and such and I decided that if there were more than a handful of cases in my immediate area that I would keep the kids home from school. *IF* we get many cases of Ebola here in my county that may be what I will do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts