Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...some of you have sort of followed the situation of my parents taking gardianship of 3 young kids when my uncle passed a yr ago. A couple months ago my hubby, kids, and myself moved into uncle's home which is right up the road from my parents. We have been able to help my folks alot and spend time every day with them and the 3 kids. My own 2 bio kids love the new VERY small country school. Things have moved along pretty well. I found a decent job at a very small local nursing home that has a real fmily type feeling. Hubby got a temp job for harvest a grainery and was working about 70-80 hrs a week part month or so. And he starts a new career with a John Deere dealership next week!! He is soo excited and this type work with parts and inventory control is right up his alley having done the same type stuff for an auto parts company for 15 yrs in the past.

The bad news...2 days ago my father passed away suddenly. I am absolutely heart broken over it. I think I am having some "issues" as I performed CPR on him until EMS arrived. It was weird and surreal and scary. Being a nurse and knowing he was gone but doing it anyway because mom was on the phone with 911 and they were telling her to have me do it. OTOH, I am so very thankful that I was able to spend so much time with my dad this last couple months. I was the youngest and his "baby" even tho I am 40. He still would ask my mom "Is the baby coming over for dinner tonight?" and stuff like that referring to me. My 2 kids also go to spend a ton of time with him literally every day for last couple months and he just adored them. And while dad did have some health issues and was having trouble with his mobility he was still having reasonable quality of life. Heck he was just butchering a deer a week ago, teaching my 9 yr old son to shoot, going out & getting wood for the stove with his neighbor and best buddy, etc. Basically lived as he wanted literally right to the end. For those things I will be eternally greatful!!

And also, I am not religious really but obviously some higher power was looking out for us as we moved here and got settled just in time. There is no way my mother could raise 3 kids and do everything all by herself out here. It is extremely rural but the little community has been amazing to our family thru all this. And my hubby found a good job with excellent benefits which may allow me to reduce to part time and be more of a "mom" to the other 3 kids as well as my own, giving mom a break. It just seems as if everything happened just as it was needed to happen.

I want to tell the world how much I appreciate and love my husband for taking the chance and moving us out here. He did so much work to get uncle's house livable. Rewired, put in well, furnace, re-plumbed entire place, cleaned and moved loads of furniture. He is an amazing man and not many men would have taken the leap to move their family to such a rural area to help care for 3 kids he had barely met!! That is my husband...a real man to say the least!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
What a lot to have to deal with. My condolences about your father, I can't even imagine such a thing yet, my mind won't let me. I am so glad to hear things seem to be working out otherwise and that you got to spend so much time with your father.

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Its wonderful that you and your family had this time with your father. Its also good that you can be there for your mom and the three children. Those children have suffered so many losses and changes they must be very confused about life.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Sorry for your loss, good that you were/are there too.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss and the losses experienced by the children of both families. God be with you and your husband, and bring you the strength you will need.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss- it sounds as though this is hard and very sudden- you are very blessed- and things are falling into place for you- but remember it is okay to cry and be sad even when you know you are blessed <3

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your Dad. That must be so hard on everyone,but it is wonderful that you are living near your Mom and the kids and can be a real help.

I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going. Please update us occasionally .

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I am so sorry you have lost your dad but on the other hand I feel tears of joy because God gave your Dad time with you and your family. As I was reading your story I thought everything happens for a reason and although tragedies occurred just look at all the precious memories that were made with your dad before he passed away with you, your kids etc and yes you have a wonderful husband. Thanks for keeping us posted Sending prayers and hugs from TN

1 - 20 of 46 Posts