Update and questions about baby that had diareah

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Faithful Heart, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Ok......
    My 7 week old doeling that came to me with diareah seems to be doing better, but I'm still not sure. To refresh in the shortest way I can think of, here's how things went & what I did:
    Day 1 - arrived with "mud" looking stool
    Day 2 - turned more yellowy (maybe greenish)
    - never any blood in the stool
    Day 3 & 4 - turned normal colored, but clumped and seemed covered in mucus
    Day 6 - went BACK to loose and yellow/green?

Days 3 & 4 - gave her first 2 days probios (got slightly better)
    Day 7 - (Day 6 it got bad again) wormed her (ivermectin paste), vaccinated her
    Day 8 & 9 - with that last one also started her on a "milk withdrawl, give electrolyte, give probios" program for 2 days
    Day 10 - after that then started her back on her milk, slowly, 2 oz. every 2 hours at first
    Day 11 - next day had her on 4 oz. every 2 hours (8x a day)
    Day 12 to 15 - after this first day back on milk I started her on Sulmet for the 4 days doses

Day 16 - TODAY, first day after the sulmet treatment was finished, finally got a good look at her stool.

Her stool looks the right color, and it does fall (tumble) out like berries should, but it must still be soft cause it's not formed in proper balls. :shrug: Now I did not touch it to see how soft. :p I wouldn't have a clue as to what the right "texture" should be anyway. LOL But she almost seems to be straining to get it out....... yet surely they're "soft" cause they're mis-shaped like they once where smashed together in the tract. But they're not sticky anymore either. :help:

I feel silly explaining this :rolleyes: , but need to know if her level of poop is normal for what I should expect on the first day after sulmet treatment being finished (4 day treatment)? If so, when should it get better?

Sheesh I feel dumb! But I'm learning, so be kind to me. :hobbyhors

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

3. Faithful Heart

Wouldn't really call it any of those. She sorta seems constipated..... cause she strains to get it out. (Or did as I watched her..... and she did have a bunch of poop to get out.) It was like..... she'd strain some and hunch some.... and it looked like it was all going to come out at once.... but then as it got to the edge, it came apart, tumbling like goat berries should. (Such a gross topic!)

Sorry for being so graphic. :rolleyes: And no... I don't enjoy sitting around watching a goat's butt. LOL But she's my baby, and I gotta make sure her "poopies" are doing better. :p

She's eating forages really great, and has enjoyed them from day 1. But she's still a bit iffy about eating her feed and hay. I'd love to get her some peanut hay, but there is NO hay for sale around here at ALL. I'm lucky to have this coastal hay.

If she IS constipated.... then that might mean she's deydrated, right? She has access to water, is in a shady pen (though it's pretty hot everywhere), and gets 32 oz. of milk through the day. I have SEEN her drink out of her water bucket, and drinks also from the water bowl I fill when we go out for forage time. But should I maybe give her a bottle of water too? Just to be sure she's getting enough fluids? If so, how much should I try to get her to drink during the day? I worry that if I fill her tummy up with water she might not feel hungry enough to munch on feed, hay, or forage. Is that a possibility?

Surely it sounds like I'm freaking out over it all. I just want to do what's right for her. And I believe that I can take care of this myself..... that is without a vet..... at this time. I have not once seen her as sick enough to see a vet - yet. Now if these little "problems" linger... then fine, it'll be vet time. But for the most part I feel I need to learn about goat care, and I see this one as fairly minor so far.

4. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I think it's a goat owner thing, I always make sure my goats poop is normal and I get worried if it isn't. You're not alone :D

How is the kid, is she showing other signs that seem weird? Like not playing and stuff? When my two kids were about a month old, they got diarrhea too, but they showed no signs of cocci. We got it tested for cocci too and the results were negative. They didn't look dehydrated or anything, and after about two weeks it cleared up. I'm guessing it was because they started eating different food or ate something that didn't agree with them...? I don't know. My other two kids didn't have anything like this, so I don't know.

5. Faithful Heart

She seems really healthy to me. Playful, eats forage heartily, clear nose and eyes. I never would have thought of her as sick other than the diareah.

So would that rule out dehydration? Having never been around goats before, all I have for a comparision is the other goat that's 3 months old.

6. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

As long as she's still eating and being healthy, I wouldn't be too worried--I was very worried when mine got diarrhea... I couldn't sleep at night :p If she gets sicker you might want to check into it. I don't know what it is really, mine were the exact same way. Maybe just a digestive thing. Just keep an eye on her.

7. Faithful Heart

I will. :) She's quite the learning experience. LOL

8. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi You say you have another Goat that is 3 months old right?
    Can I ask why you don't put them together so they can romp with each other? I might have missed it if you already said somewhere. It can help alot with making them feel better if they have someone of their own spices to play with and sleep with.

Thanks
    APPway

9. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Beth
    how is the little girl doing you are behind on your updates *grin*

10. Faithful Heart

Sorry Appway......:)

I'd been off of work for a week, and started back a few nights ago (graveyard shift), so it's taken me some time to get back on "sleeping" schedule.

I believe it's vet time. I tried today to get a fecal, by watching her so it would be fresh. No luck. I'll try again tonight.

With watching her, and doing SOOOOO much reading, I started realizing that little things I'd noticed were actually symptoms. I hadn't seen them that way at first, but in the last few days it just all started to add up. Things like: extra shedding, a small hacking cough after finishing her bottle, the fact that the diareah was coming and going (staying fine now), a small bit of swelling under her jaw (thought it was baby fat :shrug: ), appetite that comes and goes, little bits of dirt always in her nose (as if the nose is a bit runny and it sticks there), and it just seems there's a whole lot more "froth" or foam that comes out of her mouth after finishing her bottle than the other baby had when he drank. Her eyes don't look too terribly pale, but I'm not use to what's "normal" either. Only going off pictures from that Famacha system site.

I did start her on the SafeGuard program that Fias Co farm talks of - 4x strength doses for 5 days. I know SafeGuard isn't the best way to go, but it's the best of the 3 worms I've got, and I felt I needed to do SOMETHING. Her appetite is back & the poop is still fine, but the rest is still going on. I don't know how accurate the fecal will be once done since I'm in the process of worming..... but I'll talk with the vet about that too.

I'm so worried about her now. She's still playful, but I've had her for 2 1/2 weeks now, and now when I look at her I'm thinking "is she alright? is she loosing weight?". I think I'm over reacting a bit in my worry, but my heart just aches for her to be well and perfect. I thought in the begining this would be a simple matter of just a bad tummy from the ride up from Florida. Or maybe developing coccidia from the stress of the ride. I felt I could deal with those things myself. But now I am worried.... and just wishing I wasn't so scared for her. As soon as I get that poop though, I'll take it off to the vet for a fecal.

And I don't keep the two goats together because the other one is a 3 month old buck. :rolleyes: He has horns that are much bigger than her's for one, and the other..... he wants to BREED. LOL He actually tried one day when they were out at the pasture on their lunge lines. She got too much in his range while I was visiting with the neighbor (and I wasn't paying FULL attention).... all he managed was to squash her to the ground. :nono:

Beth

11. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

She could have an overload of cocci going on I would repeat the treatment. the wormer was the correct one to use on this age doe. the cough etc believe I would go to the vet as might be a problem.

12. Faithful Heart

I managed to get a stool sample tonight, so next step is to take that to the vet. Then hopefully I can find out if it lots of worms, or coccidia, or just what. At this point in time, unless you were paying really close attention (such as to the extra shedding & very slight swelling under her jaw), you'd think she was a perfectly healthy goat.

Her coat is shiny, she's playful, drinks her bottles vigorously, and goes to town on fresh browse. But her appetite towards her feed has been on and off. Yesterday it started back up, so that's encouraging. I have mostly thought it was just her age.... that maybe she was being slow about trying the feed.

I'll feel much better after seeing what the fecal test says.

Oh..... and the cough isn't much, or often. Only 1 or 2 raspy, deep coughs right after finishing her bottle. She drinks it so fast that I've though maybe she was breathing a little bit in.... like choking a bit. But it's the ONLY times she's coughed that I've seen.

13. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

On the coughing I wouldn't worry much about because I have a little doe that does that shortly after she finishs her bottle because she drinks so so fast it worrys me at times so I have starting doing this I give her the bottle but just shortly after I take it away for a sec and it stops her coughing now. Then I give it back to her to finish up.

I hope the fecal comes back good for you.

14. Faithful Heart

I'll do that AllWolf.

It's possible I'm a touch over worried anyway. The vet seems to think so. He didn't come right out and say it, but acted that way. After hearing everything on the goat, and all the treatment I've done, his recommendation was just to give her a vitamin shot - if I want.

Maybe I have an odd vet...... maybe I am over worried on the baby. :shrug: But he didn't see any point in doing a fecal test. Is that strange? I could have pushed him more - insisted - but if he doesn't see the need, then I guess I won't do it right now. He just said the treatments I did were fine, and if she gets worse then he can either give me a different wormer to try, or something different for coccidia, or maybe we'll think about a fecal at that time. I feel he cares, so I'll just go with his suggestion of the vitamin shot. Then I'll just watch her over the next week or 10 days and see if there's improvement, no improvement, or worse.

It did actually look like she was shedding less today. Today was day 4 of the 5 day worming treatment. But I was just looking her over, and she appeared a bit better. I forgot to look for the swelling under her jaw. It's so slight that you really have to look for it at times.

I see her every day, so I have a hard time seeing if she's fat, thin, gaining weight, or losing weight. My FIL is only around on the weekend though, and says she looks thin. The real "test" will be if he comes home and says she looks better - fatter, shinier, something.